Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue 
Author Message
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue

Recently purchased a Tek 2235 (does not have military option). It displays
both traces ok as well as a square wave on both channels. Both traces
respond to the 'A' intensity control, while the 'B' intensity control has no
effect. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Both the 'A' & 'B'
intensity control pots check out ok. Voltage at the base of Q814 varies when
the 'B' pot is turned as well as the output voltage on the emitter of Q814.
Voltages here are correct too. There is no voltage change at the node of
anodes CR818 and CR820 while turning the 'B' pot, but it does change here
when the 'A' intensity pot is turned. I've checked all related
diodes --CR818, CR820, CR805, CR817, CR816, CR680, etc., and related
resistors. Q586 is biased and stays on in "Ch1", "CH2", and "Both"
positions, at least as far as I can tell with the voltmeter.  I don't see
any components with visible damage, but there is a place on the board that
is brown from heat around Q254, Q255, Q256 which is the Vertical output to
CRT section. I'm guessing that this is unrelated to the intensity problem.
any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John



Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:10:29 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue



Quote:
> Recently purchased a Tek 2235 (does not have military option). It displays
> both traces ok as well as a square wave on both channels. Both traces
> respond to the 'A' intensity control, while the 'B' intensity control has
no
> effect. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Both the 'A' & 'B'
> intensity control pots check out ok. Voltage at the base of Q814 varies
when
> the 'B' pot is turned as well as the output voltage on the emitter of
Q814.
> Voltages here are correct too. There is no voltage change at the node of
> anodes CR818 and CR820 while turning the 'B' pot, but it does change here
> when the 'A' intensity pot is turned. I've checked all related
> diodes --CR818, CR820, CR805, CR817, CR816, CR680, etc., and related
> resistors. Q586 is biased and stays on in "Ch1", "CH2", and "Both"
> positions, at least as far as I can tell with the voltmeter.  I don't see
> any components with visible damage, but there is a place on the board that
> is brown from heat around Q254, Q255, Q256 which is the Vertical output to
> CRT section. I'm guessing that this is unrelated to the intensity problem.
> any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> John

John
You didn't mention whether you were using the B timebase for your tests, the
B intensity control only affects the traces on the B timebase.
Martin

--
martin<dot here>whybrow<at here>ntlworld<dot here>com



Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:13:00 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue
Put the horizontal mode in ALT, pull the outer time base knob (B sweep) and
turn a few clicks to the right. Now you will have two seperate sweeps and
they should be seperatable (vertically) with the A/B SWP SEP control. Turn
the B Delay Time Position control and the intensified sweep should move
across the screen.

--
change .combo to .com for correct email

***************************************************
"We ought always to know precisely why a given job
is done in a particular way, and why it is done at
all, and why it can't be done more efficiently,
if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

***************************************************



Quote:
> Recently purchased a Tek 2235 (does not have military option). It displays
> both traces ok as well as a square wave on both channels. Both traces
> respond to the 'A' intensity control, while the 'B' intensity control has
no
> effect. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Both the 'A' & 'B'
> intensity control pots check out ok. Voltage at the base of Q814 varies
when
> the 'B' pot is turned as well as the output voltage on the emitter of
Q814.
> Voltages here are correct too. There is no voltage change at the node of
> anodes CR818 and CR820 while turning the 'B' pot, but it does change here
> when the 'A' intensity pot is turned. I've checked all related
> diodes --CR818, CR820, CR805, CR817, CR816, CR680, etc., and related
> resistors. Q586 is biased and stays on in "Ch1", "CH2", and "Both"
> positions, at least as far as I can tell with the voltmeter.  I don't see
> any components with visible damage, but there is a place on the board that
> is brown from heat around Q254, Q255, Q256 which is the Vertical output to
> CRT section. I'm guessing that this is unrelated to the intensity problem.
> any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> John



Sat, 05 Aug 2006 02:15:27 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue
Thanks for the suggestions. As you can probably tell it's been awhile, and a
different scope on top of that. Nothing like chasing a fault that doesn't
even exist. :-)
The 2235 has a lot of nice features. I think I will like it once I get more
familiar with the triggering etc.


Quote:
> Put the horizontal mode in ALT, pull the outer time base knob (B sweep)
and
> turn a few clicks to the right. Now you will have two seperate sweeps and
> they should be seperatable (vertically) with the A/B SWP SEP control. Turn
> the B Delay Time Position control and the intensified sweep should move
> across the screen.

> --
> change .combo to .com for correct email

> ***************************************************
> "We ought always to know precisely why a given job
> is done in a particular way, and why it is done at
> all, and why it can't be done more efficiently,
> if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

> ***************************************************



> > Recently purchased a Tek 2235 (does not have military option). It
displays
> > both traces ok as well as a square wave on both channels. Both traces
> > respond to the 'A' intensity control, while the 'B' intensity control
has
> no
> > effect. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Both the 'A' & 'B'
> > intensity control pots check out ok. Voltage at the base of Q814 varies
> when
> > the 'B' pot is turned as well as the output voltage on the emitter of
> Q814.
> > Voltages here are correct too. There is no voltage change at the node of
> > anodes CR818 and CR820 while turning the 'B' pot, but it does change
here
> > when the 'A' intensity pot is turned. I've checked all related
> > diodes --CR818, CR820, CR805, CR817, CR816, CR680, etc., and related
> > resistors. Q586 is biased and stays on in "Ch1", "CH2", and "Both"
> > positions, at least as far as I can tell with the voltmeter.  I don't
see
> > any components with visible damage, but there is a place on the board
that
> > is brown from heat around Q254, Q255, Q256 which is the Vertical output
to
> > CRT section. I'm guessing that this is unrelated to the intensity
problem.
> > any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,
> > John



Sat, 05 Aug 2006 08:29:02 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue


Quote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. As you can probably tell it's been awhile,
> and a different scope on top of that. Nothing like chasing a fault
> that doesn't even exist. :-)
> The 2235 has a lot of nice features. I think I will like it once I get
> more familiar with the triggering etc.

It's a good scope.Watch out for the focus resistor string,it has a tendency
for the carbon film resistors to increase in value until they open.Replace
with carbon comp resistors,same value and wattage(1/2w.)
Other than that,main failures are bad electrolytics and shorted rectifier
diodes. One more item;the pre-reg FET should be slodered to the 3 wire
ribbon cable,the Molex would overheat and char,causing FET failure.If you
still have the Molex,if it's beginning to discolor,cut it off and solder
the wires direct to the FET leads.(this was a TEK official mod;to remove
the Molex,but may not have been performed on every scope.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net



Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:26:24 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue


Quote:


> > Thanks for the suggestions. As you can probably tell it's been awhile,
> > and a different scope on top of that. Nothing like chasing a fault
> > that doesn't even exist. :-)
> > The 2235 has a lot of nice features. I think I will like it once I get
> > more familiar with the triggering etc.

> It's a good scope.Watch out for the focus resistor string,it has a
tendency
> for the carbon film resistors to increase in value until they open.Replace
> with carbon comp resistors,same value and wattage(1/2w.)
> Other than that,main failures are bad electrolytics and shorted rectifier
> diodes. One more item;the pre-reg FET should be slodered to the 3 wire
> ribbon cable,the Molex would overheat and char,causing FET failure.If you
> still have the Molex,if it's beginning to discolor,cut it off and solder
> the wires direct to the FET leads.(this was a TEK official mod;to remove
> the Molex,but may not have been performed on every scope.)

> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik-at-kua.net

Thanks for the advice Jim. I pulled the plastic cover off the bottom of the
main board and sure enough the board is discolored where the focus resistors
are mounted. I found the FET regulator , mine has 3 separate wires as
opposed to the ribbon cable you mentioned, but it does have the Molex
connector which appears to be in good shape-- at least it hasn't discolored
yet. Any thoughts on what could cause the discoloration on the board around
the vertical output under the CRT?

Thanks,
John



Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:57:22 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue
Anybode has schematics for this Tek 2235 scope?

Harm

Quote:





> > > Thanks for the suggestions. As you can probably tell it's been awhile,
> > > and a different scope on top of that. Nothing like chasing a fault
> > > that doesn't even exist. :-)
> > > The 2235 has a lot of nice features. I think I will like it once I get
> > > more familiar with the triggering etc.

> > It's a good scope.Watch out for the focus resistor string,it has a
>  tendency
> > for the carbon film resistors to increase in value until they open.Replace
> > with carbon comp resistors,same value and wattage(1/2w.)
> > Other than that,main failures are bad electrolytics and shorted rectifier
> > diodes. One more item;the pre-reg FET should be slodered to the 3 wire
> > ribbon cable,the Molex would overheat and char,causing FET failure.If you
> > still have the Molex,if it's beginning to discolor,cut it off and solder
> > the wires direct to the FET leads.(this was a TEK official mod;to remove
> > the Molex,but may not have been performed on every scope.)

> > --
> > Jim Yanik
> > jyanik-at-kua.net

> Thanks for the advice Jim. I pulled the plastic cover off the bottom of the
> main board and sure enough the board is discolored where the focus resistors
> are mounted. I found the FET regulator , mine has 3 separate wires as
> opposed to the ribbon cable you mentioned, but it does have the Molex
> connector which appears to be in good shape-- at least it hasn't discolored
> yet. Any thoughts on what could cause the discoloration on the board around
> the vertical output under the CRT?

> Thanks,
> John



Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:01:26 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue


Quote:





>> > Thanks for the suggestions. As you can probably tell it's been
>> > awhile, and a different scope on top of that. Nothing like chasing
>> > a fault that doesn't even exist. :-)
>> > The 2235 has a lot of nice features. I think I will like it once I
>> > get more familiar with the triggering etc.

>> It's a good scope.Watch out for the focus resistor string,it has a
> tendency
>> for the carbon film resistors to increase in value until they
>> open.Replace with carbon comp resistors,same value and wattage(1/2w.)
>> Other than that,main failures are bad electrolytics and shorted
>> rectifier diodes. One more item;the pre-reg FET should be slodered to
>> the 3 wire ribbon cable,the Molex would overheat and char,causing FET
>> failure.If you still have the Molex,if it's beginning to discolor,cut
>> it off and solder the wires direct to the FET leads.(this was a TEK
>> official mod;to remove the Molex,but may not have been performed on
>> every scope.)

>> --
>> Jim Yanik
>> jyanik-at-kua.net

> Thanks for the advice Jim. I pulled the plastic cover off the bottom
> of the main board and sure enough the board is discolored where the
> focus resistors are mounted. I found the FET regulator , mine has 3
> separate wires as opposed to the ribbon cable you mentioned, but it
> does have the Molex connector which appears to be in good shape-- at
> least it hasn't discolored yet. Any thoughts on what could cause the
> discoloration on the board around the vertical output under the CRT?

> Thanks,
> John

Those vertical resistors DO get pretty hot.I can't recall any problems with
them,though. You could put new ones in and raise them off the board a
little bit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net



Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:01:40 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue


Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue
Tektronix isn't able to provide support, and I am in need of a service
manual for this scope.  Or advice on how to get the printer interface to
recognize the printer.  The same printer and cable combination works on
several other Tektronix 2235 scopes, so I'm sure this one has a problem.

Thanks



Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:21:44 GMT
 Tektronix 2235 Intensity issue

Quote:

> Tektronix isn't able to provide support, and I am in need of a service
> manual for this scope.  Or advice on how to get the printer interface to
> recognize the printer.  The same printer and cable combination works on
> several other Tektronix 2235 scopes, so I'm sure this one has a problem.

> Thanks

AFAIK the Tektronix 2235 (100 MHz, full analog, no diigtal storage; no
storage at all) was never manufactured with a printer nterface.

Maybe you are thinking of the 2230 or 2232: these ones use rs232
interfacing usually.

hth,
Andreas



Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:30:33 GMT
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. need help with Tektronix 2235 intensity problem

2. Tektronix 2235 Intensity problem

3. Tektronix 2235 Intensity Problem

4. TEK 2235 - Need page from tek 2235 scope manual - blanking/intensity circuit

5. TEK 2235 - Need page from tek 2235 scope manual - blanking/intensity circuit

6. FS: Tektronix 2235 Oscilliscope

7. FS: Tektronix 2235 Oscilliscope 100MHz

8. tektronix 2235

9. FS: Tektronix 2235 100MHz Oscilliscope


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software