Digital multimeter, is it faulty ???
hi.. attaching the meter leads should not make the light dim.. it sounds as
if you're connecting the meter leads in parallel with the battery (or the
battery isn't capable of powering the light bulb).
Start with a fresh battery of a suitable size for the light bulb.. connect
the battery to the light bulb. It should be lit.
To check the battery Voltage, set the meter's switch/range to DC Volts (and
place the leads in the correct meter jacks if necessary). Connect the
voltmeter across the battery terminals or a suitable parallel connection
point (while the light is lit).
You should see the battery's voltage displayed on the meter.
Disconnect one battery lead from the lamp, this will make two circuit points
Change the meter's switch/range to DCA (and move the correct lead, usually
the red one to an appropriate A jack if necessary).
Connect the meter's leads to the two circuit points (open circuit, light not
lit). The light should turn on when the meter's leads are on the above two
If the light doesn't turn on, the fuse (or other protective device, possibly
the meter itself) is probably defective.
A current meter is essentially a piece of wire, which completes an open
circuit. This is important to remember when the meter is set on the Current
test ranges.. connecting a current meter's leads across two points in a live
circuit will act as a jumper wire. In many cases, the meter and/or the
circuit being tested will be damaged.
If the meter's user manual isn't sufficiently clear about the proper
operation of the meter, check a library or that Shack store for a book about
If your meter has more than 2 jacks for the test leads (as most DMMs do),
you need to fully understand what they're purposes and limitations are.
>I can't seem to get a reading when my Digital multimeter
>(Kinzo-18D26) when set to DCA.
>I've tried testing it by putting it in series with a battery and
>working light bulb. When connected the light bulb lights then dims to
>nothing within a second or so. The Multimeter gives no reading.
>Whats wrong ?
>Is the Multimeter DCA setting faulty?
>If so can it be fixed easily ?
>Any ideas ?