Selective image compression 
Author Message
 Selective image compression

I have finished my MS thesis and am ready to defend it. I asked some
questions about SeLective Image Compression (SLIC) about 5 months ago. I
would like for you to respond again.

Please, respond before Dec. 1st '94 :-)).


Gene Sheppard
2610 Whitehaven Dr.
Marietta, GA 30064

OVERVIEW:

Because of the way Fractal Image Compression (FIC) blocks an image, it is
easy to select parts of the image for compression. The user displays the
image an selects which part of the image to be compressed. The compressed
data is placed into a file. The part of the image NOT compressed is placed
or appended at the end of the file. The part of the image not compressed
will be redisplayed without data or information lose, in other words,
complete data integrity for the uncompressed section.

QUESTIONS::

1) Would you use this technology in your field?
1a) Why?

2) How would you use it?

3) Would you like to know more about it? If so would you like a copy of
   the thesis?

KEYWORDS::

Fractals
Fractal Image Compression (FIC)
SeLective Image Compression (SLIC)



Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:47:56 GMT
 Selective image compression

Quote:

> I have finished my MS thesis and am ready to defend it. I asked some
> questions about SeLective Image Compression (SLIC) about 5 months ago. I
> would like for you to respond again.
...
> OVERVIEW:

> Because of the way Fractal Image Compression (FIC) blocks an image, it is
> easy to select parts of the image for compression. The user displays the
> image an selects which part of the image to be compressed. The compressed
> data is placed into a file. The part of the image NOT compressed is placed
> or appended at the end of the file. The part of the image not compressed
> will be redisplayed without data or information lose, in other words,
> complete data integrity for the uncompressed section.

> QUESTIONS::

> 1) Would you use this technology in your field?

You betcha.

Quote:
> 1a) Why?

Why compress images? Surely you jest...

Quote:
> 2) How would you use it?

In a radiology application you most typically would select a region that you
want to NOT compress. Example, don't compress the subtle scaphoid fracture, but
compress the rest of the hand and wrist.

Quote:
> 3) Would you like to know more about it? If so would you like a copy of
>    the thesis?

I'll bite. Send me a copy.
--

Department of Radiology, SB-05   |  voice (206)543-3320
University of Washington         |  fax   (206)543-6317
Seattle, WA 98195                |


Mon, 21 Apr 1997 02:39:08 GMT
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Selective Fractal Compression

2. Wavelet image compression given FDA 510(k) approval to market in Pegasus toolkit

3. PICTools Medical image compression beta opportunities

4. Wavelet image compression given FDA 510(k) approval to market in Pegasus Medical toolkit

5. Image Compression

6. DICOM Image Compression Survey

7. DICOM Image Data Compression WG 4

8. Wavelet image compression given FDA 510(k) approval to market in Pegasus Medical toolkit

9. wavelet image compression given FDA 510(k) approval to market in Pegasus toolkit

10. Compression of 2kx2k images

11. DICOM Image Compression Survey


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software