Protein question 
Author Message
 Protein question

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have a question regarding protein, and amino acids in particular.
> I am a vegetarian, who works out (fitness, cardio equipment, swimming)
> regularly (5-6 times a week). I drink quite a lot of (skimmed) milk,
> usually 1.5 liters a day. My question is if milk contains all essential
> amino acids and if not, if I'm likely to have a shortage of one of them.
> Is it recommended to use a amino acid supplement?

I don't believe milk contains all essential amino acids -- and even if
it did, you may not be getting much out of it because milk is not easy
for your stomach to digest unless you're taking the lactase enzyme with
it. You would be wise to add an amino acid supplement containing at
least 22 amino acids.

Better yet, eat raw/fresh seed sprouts (not beans) -- almonds,
sunflower, etc. Once the seeds are sprouted, this releases the enzyme
inhibitors and allows all the nutrients to be digested properly and
completely.

Seeds provide protein whereas beans provide carbohydrates.

Hope this helps.

Karen
----------
"No Illness Is Incurable" article
     < http://www.***.com/ ;
8.9 cpm long distance & 800#s. 24 hrs. No fees.
     < http://www.***.com/ ;
----------



Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Protein question

Quote:

> My question is if milk contains all essential
>> amino acids

    Yes, it does.   If your ancestry comes from NW Europe, you can probably
digest it too.   OTOH, if your ancestors came from an area where it was not
cloudy and not necessary to drink a lot of milk, you might have trouble
digesting it.    You would know, however - digestive upset and flatulence.
        Raw egg white does  expose you to the danger of salmonella.
        Personally, I would eat some combination of cereal grains and legumes
with that - but partly for other nutrition, and simply because i like them.   i
believe the WHO or someone set 50 gms. of protein as minimum, but Marvin Harris
thought 75.    1.5 liters of milk should give you over 50, and of course, rice
and chick peas (to mention one possibility) eaten together would give you some
more.
        You know your own tastes best.    I like the Readers _Eat Better and
Live Better_ as a reference.   Gives you the info, and lets you choose what is
to your own taste.   Like the French say, chacun a son gout, or,  loosely
translated, Jack's son likes goo.
     Cheers
       John


Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Protein question

Quote:

>I don't believe milk contains all essential amino acids -- and even if
>it did, you may not be getting much out of it because milk is not easy
>for your stomach to digest unless you're taking the lactase enzyme with

Lactase break down a disaccharide, lactose, milk sugar, not any
protein!!

The casein stuff is not difficult to break down, except for a few humans
that may lack some of the enzymes, breaking it down into a some free
aminoacids and  oligopeptides. One of these oligopeptides has been
theorized that may be a brain hormone which may cause effects when taken
up by intestines.



Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Protein question

Karen Brunner --
Ref your question on milk protein.
The Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS) of nonfat milk
is 100%, according to a reference I found on
http://www.bypass.com/~twilbur/protein.html
That sounds like a 'complete protein' to me.
Like you, I drink a lot of milk.  Some people have trouble digesting it ...
but if you can do it, you can save a lot of money on expensive and tasteless
protein supplements.

Nancy Strasser



Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Protein question

I think it's recommended to have a daily intake of  protein:

Women: 0,8-1,2 g protein/kg body weight

Men: 1,0-1,5 g protein/kg body weight

Jgissw skrev i meddelelsen

Quote:

>> My question is if milk contains all essential
>>> amino acids

>    Yes, it does.   If your ancestry comes from NW Europe, you can probably
>digest it too.   OTOH, if your ancestors came from an area where it was not
>cloudy and not necessary to drink a lot of milk, you might have trouble
>digesting it.    You would know, however - digestive upset and flatulence.
>        Raw egg white does  expose you to the danger of salmonella.
>        Personally, I would eat some combination of cereal grains and
legumes
>with that - but partly for other nutrition, and simply because i like them.
i
>believe the WHO or someone set 50 gms. of protein as minimum, but Marvin
Harris
>thought 75.    1.5 liters of milk should give you over 50, and of course,
rice
>and chick peas (to mention one possibility) eaten together would give you
some
>more.
>        You know your own tastes best.    I like the Readers _Eat Better
and
>Live Better_ as a reference.   Gives you the info, and lets you choose what
is
>to your own taste.   Like the French say, chacun a son gout, or,  loosely
>translated, Jack's son likes goo.
>     Cheers
>       John



Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Protein question

Quote:

>Hi,

>I have a question regarding protein, and amino acids in particular.
>I am a vegetarian, who works out (fitness, cardio equipment, swimming)
>regularly (5-6 times a week). I drink quite a lot of (skimmed) milk,
>usually 1.5 liters a day. My question is if milk contains all essential
>amino acids and if not, if I'm likely to have a shortage of one of them.
>Is it recommended to use a amino acid supplement?

Ovo/lacto vegetarians can get all the essential amino acids easily from
their diet.  Eating a variety of foods should keep you in good stead.

If you've got more specific nutritional questions, you should ask your
primary care physician about where to get nutritional advice (I'm from the
US and we have Registered Dietitians here, but I don't know about the
Netherlands at all).

                                        larry...

--
The more you know, the more you know. -- Me



Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Protein question

Quote:

>Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:53:08
>>I think it's recommended to have a daily intake of  protein:

>Women: 0,8-1,2 g protein/kg body weight

>Men: 1,0-1,5 g protein/kg body weight

     Works for me.     However, 50 g. is, of course, more than what some of the
third world people get.    So 50 would be an improvement.   Kwashkior.
     cheers
        John


Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Protein question

Quote:
 physical  writes:

[snip]

Quote:
>    Amino acid supplementation is one of the great nutritional ripoffs of
> the past two decades.  Unless you are a very strict vegan, and know what
> you are doing with limiting amino acids, it is almost never necessary,
> contrary to the pundits on MFW.  

I hardly ever heard the "pundits of MFW" recommend amino acid
supplementation. If you read MFW more carefully, you'd see that regulars
know well that protein supplements in general can't replace real
food. They're just a handy way to add some protein to your diet, period.

--
Manuel
http://www.ikarios.com
(Bodybuilding site in French/en francais)



Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. C-reactive protein question

2. C-reactive protein question

3. Protein question/Beefsteak

4. GAD protein question

5. Incomplete protein question

6. Protein question

7. sugars/ protein question- what's the word?

8. whey protein question: who SHOULDN'T take it

9. Question about Amyloidosis (Protein buildup - Kidney)

10. Questions about cancer;new virus conjecture;virus protein coat

11. Layperson's question - high protein diets and blood

12. C-Reactive Protein Test Questions, Please


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software