Eating In Your Sleep 
Author Message
 Eating In Your Sleep

Could anyone provide any information on a disorder in which a person
eats in their sleep (generally high fat/high sugar foods), then can't
remember doing so in the morning, or may remember slightly after seeing
the mess in the kitchen the next morning?

Any anecdotal or scientific information would be appreciated.

Thanks



Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Eating In Your Sleep


Quote:

>Could anyone provide any information on a disorder in which a person
>eats in their sleep (generally high fat/high sugar foods), then can't
>remember doing so in the morning, or may remember slightly after

seeing the mess in the kitchen the next morning?

Quote:

>Any anecdotal or scientific information would be appreciated.

>Thanks

I had no idea it was a disorder, but when my daughter was about six
years old, I was very worried about not getting her to eat.  She didn't
eat enough to keep a bird alive.
    One night around 3 am, I woke up and noticed a light on in the
kitchen.  Went out and there she was, sitting at the table eating a big
bowl of cereal! I asked her why she was up, no answer. Her eyes were
open, but not focusing.  She was just methodically shoveling cereal
into her mouth.  I sat down at the table and she took no notice of me.
I realized that she was sound asleep!  She finished eating, put bowl in
dishwasher and went to bed. All without a sound.  If I hadn't seen her,
I'd have never known she had eaten.
    Next morning when I asked her about it, she denied it.  I set my
alarm for 2 am for the next three nights. Each night between 2:15 and
2:45, she got up and ate cereal, always putting two spoonfulls of sugar
in it.  Once it was two bowls.  What was interesting about that, was
that she fixed one bowl, put milk and ceral away, then got it out again
and put it away for second bowl!
    She never woke up, never acknowledged my presence, never indicated
she heard me speak to her and never remembered in the morning. This
went on for about three months.  When she started eating normally
again, I set my alarm again (periodically) to get up and see if she was
still eating in the night and she was not.  This never occured again
during her childhood that I am aware of. Judy


Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Eating In Your Sleep


Quote:
>    One night around 3 am, I woke up and noticed a light on in the
>kitchen.  Went out and there she was, sitting at the table eating a big
>bowl of cereal! I asked her why she was up, no answer. Her eyes were
>open, but not focusing.  She was just methodically shoveling cereal
>into her mouth.  I sat down at the table and she took no notice of me.
>I realized that she was sound asleep!  She finished eating, put bowl in
>dishwasher and went to bed. All without a sound.  If I hadn't seen her,
>I'd have never known she had eaten.

Aaggghh.  Bizzaro.  You've just given me the willies.  

I was just wondering what happened when you ran out of cereal?  
(Or didn't you?  I would have been tempted to experiment at
 moving the box, but then I'm a bit weird like that.)

I've eaten in my dreams, but only when I'm really hungry,
and never actually acted it out that I know of.  



Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Eating In Your Sleep

(posted and emailed)

This was discussed here not long ago, although not a lot of information
was posted.  Look up sleep eating in deja news in the old archives.  The
thread was around Jan 03/98.
I came up with this site for NS-RED (nocturnal sleep-related eating
disorder).  Hope this helps.
http://www.anred.com/nsred.html

Chris Webb

Quote:

> Could anyone provide any information on a disorder in which a person
> eats in their sleep (generally high fat/high sugar foods), then can't
> remember doing so in the morning, or may remember slightly after seeing
> the mess in the kitchen the next morning?

> Any anecdotal or scientific information would be appreciated.

> Thanks



Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Eating In Your Sleep


writes:

Quote:


>>    One night around 3 am, I woke up and noticed a light on in the
>>kitchen.  Went out and there she was, sitting at the table eating a

big bowl of cereal! I asked her why she was up, no answer. Her eyes
were open, but not focusing.  She was just methodically shoveling
cereal into her mouth.  I sat down at the table and she took no notice
of me.
Quote:
>>I realized that she was sound asleep!  She finished eating, put bowl

in dishwasher and went to bed. All without a sound.  If I hadn't seen
her, I'd have never known she had eaten.

Quote:

>Aaggghh.  Bizzaro.  You've just given me the willies.  

>I was just wondering what happened when you ran out of cereal?  
>(Or didn't you?  I would have been tempted to experiment at
> moving the box, but then I'm a bit weird like that.)

>I've eaten in my dreams, but only when I'm really hungry,
>and never actually acted it out that I know of.  

With three kids, you make sure you're never out of cereal!  Actually,
it never occured to me to "experiment". I guess I was just glad that
she was eating! Judy


Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Eating In Your Sleep

Damn -- how do we train ourselves to do that? Think of the TIME it would save
when our favorite sport is in season!

Re:" She was just methodically shoveling cereal into her mouth. "
That's me, but wide awake -- in my sports season.

It's easy to prevent -- unless the eater can untie a rope in her sleep.

Better yet, have the eater fix enough cooking.net">food for everyone, and adjust meal times,
to save cooking time.

Mike



Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. eating disorders and sleep

2. Eating before going to sleep

3. Eating Before Sleep

4. Is it Bad to eat before sleep

5. Eating Before Sleep

6. Sleeping limbs with sleeping brains.

7. To sleep or not to sleep.....

8. Sleep Deprived After 8-9 Hours Sleep?

9. Testosterone and Sleep: Support for Sleep Theory

10. sleep apnea + sleep paralysis


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software