Managing abstracts on one's own computer. 
Author Message
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.

G'day G'day Folks,

 Every so often I take the piles of abstracts I have printed and burn
them.  The truth is for me it takes too long to sort the cellulose to
find whatever it is I want to look up.  My guess is other people
already find this no problem at all because they file them on their
computer and use some specialist software to sort, search, format for
pasting, extract references etc.  

What are the folks who do this for a living using?

How have people who don't have a research department budget
improvised?

Thanks,

--
Quentin Grady       ^  ^  /
New Zealand,       >#,#< [
                    / \ /\    
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://www.***.com/



Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:18:37 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:18:37 +1300, Quentin Grady

Quote:

>What are the folks who do this for a living using?

They use Reference Manager or something alike,


Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:27:37 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.

Quote:

> G'day G'day Folks,

>  Every so often I take the piles of abstracts I have printed and burn
> them.  The truth is for me it takes too long to sort the cellulose to
> find whatever it is I want to look up.  My guess is other people
> already find this no problem at all because they file them on their
> computer and use some specialist software to sort, search, format for
> pasting, extract references etc.

> What are the folks who do this for a living using?

> How have people who don't have a research department budget
> improvised?

> Thanks,

> --
> Quentin Grady       ^  ^  /
> New Zealand,       >#,#< [
>                     / \ /\
> "... and the blind dog was leading."

> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Hello Quentin-- I know what you mean-- hard to keep track.  I have files
upon files of downloads (and hard copies) and have trouble tossing those
"classics"papers. I'm starting to keep subject  content downloads on
floppies but it's another hassle trying to keep them straight/updated.  I
use notebooks for the main part to keep references manuscripts I use for
classes, publications and presentations. I use standard file folders for
the rest.  I do sort and toss but with great difficulty.  Maybe others
have simple, accesible files.
Pete


Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:49:47 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
If you copy the abstracts from the web onto your computer, you can
then file them according to topic.  With huge hard drives now you'll
probably never have to delete anything.  Then, if you care to search
among your collection, it's easy.
Quote:

> G'day G'day Folks,

>  Every so often I take the piles of abstracts I have printed and burn
> them.  The truth is for me it takes too long to sort the cellulose to
> find whatever it is I want to look up.  My guess is other people
> already find this no problem at all because they file them on their
> computer and use some specialist software to sort, search, format for
> pasting, extract references etc.  

> What are the folks who do this for a living using?

> How have people who don't have a research department budget
> improvised?

> Thanks,



Mon, 22 Aug 2005 04:56:09 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:27:37 +0100 in article

Quote:

>On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:18:37 +1300, Quentin Grady

>>What are the folks who do this for a living using?

>They use Reference Manager or something alike.

Downloadable from

http://www.refman.com/

Price seems a bit salty for a hobbyist though. Does anyone have hands on
experience about it or its competitors?

--
Matti Narkia



Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:55:53 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 22:55:53 GMT in article


Quote:
>Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:27:37 +0100 in article


>>On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:18:37 +1300, Quentin Grady

>>>What are the folks who do this for a living using?

>>They use Reference Manager or something alike.

>Downloadable from

>http://www.refman.com/

>Price seems a bit salty for a hobbyist though. Does anyone have hands on
>experience about it or its competitors?

Related links:

Reference Manager 9.5 Tutorial
http://www.ucalgary.ca/library/medical/tutorials.html

Reference Manager 9.5 Guide
http://www.ucalgary.ca/library/medical/refman.html

Reference Manager? Basics
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/kmt/learning/module_toc.html?tutorialID=147

A ScHARR Guide to
Reference Management
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/refman/

Bibliography Formatting Software: An Evaluation Template
Head-to-head comparison between  
Library Master? Windows v. 4.11
ProCite? Windows v. 5
EndNote? Windows v. 6; Macintosh v. 6
Reference Manager? Windows v. 10
Papyrus? Macintosh v. 8
http://www.burioni.it/forum/ors-bfs.htm

--
Matti Narkia



Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:07:28 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
This post not CC'd by email


Quote:
>>Downloadable from

>>http://www.refman.com/

>>Price seems a bit salty for a hobbyist though. Does anyone have hands on
>>experience about it or its competitors?

G'day G'day Matti,

Thanks Matti for all the information.  I have had a couple of goes at
downloading it but the download doesn't start.  

--
Quentin Grady       ^  ^  /
New Zealand,       >#,#< [
                    / \ /\    
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin



Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:11:35 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
This post not CC'd by email

Quote:

>If you copy the abstracts from the web onto your computer, you can
>then file them according to topic.  With huge hard drives now you'll
>probably never have to delete anything.  Then, if you care to search
>among your collection, it's easy.

G'day G'day Brad,

 That is certainly a simple option and doesn't even require
downloading freeware.

At the moment I'm looking at WhizFolders Organizer which handles .txt
file information fine.

--
Quentin Grady       ^  ^  /
New Zealand,       >#,#< [
                    / \ /\    
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin



Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:47:00 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:47:00 +1300 in article

Quote:

>This post not CC'd by email


>>If you copy the abstracts from the web onto your computer, you can
>>then file them according to topic.  With huge hard drives now you'll
>>probably never have to delete anything.  Then, if you care to search
>>among your collection, it's easy.

>G'day G'day Brad,

> That is certainly a simple option and doesn't even require
>downloading freeware.

If the needs are very modest, a web bookmark service such as backflip
(www.backflip.com) could be useful. I've used backlip extensively. You can
define folders, subfolders etc.. For each bookmark you can define a title and a
description. There is a search facility which accepts a boolean function of
keywords and searches urls, titles, descriptions and the actual web pages for a
hit. Storing of the new bookmarks has been made as simple as possible, clicking
browser toolbar button opens a javascript window where you define title and
description (usually by copying and pasting) and accept them with one mouse
click. You can even publish your bookmarks if you wish and thus share them with
others.

--
Matti Narkia



Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:54:58 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:11:35 +1300, Quentin Grady

Quote:

>Thanks Matti for all the information.  I have had a couple of goes at
>downloading it but the download doesn't start.  

What is nice with refman is that it is possible to let it browse the
pubmed and other reference databases for certain profiles and you just
tick the references you want to keep. When writing a paper, refman has
it's own entry in Word and you just open it and tell what paper you
are referencing and when ready, a fullblown reference list is made.


Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:43:11 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:18:37 +1300, Quentin Grady

Quote:

>G'day G'day Folks,

> Every so often I take the piles of abstracts I have printed and burn
>them.  The truth is for me it takes too long to sort the cellulose to
>find whatever it is I want to look up.  My guess is other people
>already find this no problem at all because they file them on their
>computer and use some specialist software to sort, search, format for
>pasting, extract references etc.  

>What are the folks who do this for a living using?

>How have people who don't have a research department budget
>improvised?

I can remember academics using boxes of filing cards.

The ones who were best at this were the ones blessed with a phenomenal
memory. Give them a key word and in half an hour, they had ratted
through their piles and piles of photocopies, and come up with half a
dozen reprints and memory of half a dozen others.

They used to scour airmailed, ricepaper copies of Current Contents.

Howsabout designing a simple database to suit your interests?

Moosh:)



Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:26:40 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
This post not CC'd by email

Quote:
>I can remember academics using boxes of filing cards.

>The ones who were best at this were the ones blessed with a phenomenal
>memory. Give them a key word and in half an hour, they had ratted
>through their piles and piles of photocopies, and come up with half a
>dozen reprints and memory of half a dozen others.

>They used to scour airmailed, ricepaper copies of Current Contents.

>Howsabout designing a simple database to suit your interests?

G'day G'day Moosh,

  Although I have frequently used Word, Excel etc it is a long time
since I have set up and used a database.   Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Quentin Grady       ^  ^  /
New Zealand,       >#,#< [
                    / \ /\    
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin



Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:34:14 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.

Quote:
> What are the folks who do this for a living using?

> How have people who don't have a research department budget
> improvised?

Quentin,
have a look at www.bibliographix.com. This is the homepage of
Bibliographix our literature- and bibliography manager. The program
can detect in-text-citations in your manuscripts and append a matching
bibliography at the end of the text in any format. You can download a
free version from the site. The more powerful versions are very budget
friendly.
Regards,
Olaf Winkelhake


Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:31:32 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
The search isn't currently working on backflip... but it is working on
www.ikeepbookmarks.com... a very similar service.
Quote:
> If the needs are very modest, a web bookmark service such as backflip
> (www.backflip.com) could be useful. I've used backlip extensively. You can
> define folders, subfolders etc.. For each bookmark you can define a title and a
> description. There is a search facility which accepts a boolean function of
> keywords and searches urls, titles, descriptions and the actual web pages for a
> hit.



Sat, 10 Sep 2005 03:44:36 GMT
 Managing abstracts on one's own computer.
This post not CC'd by email


Quote:
>The search isn't currently working on backflip... but it is working on
>www.ikeepbookmarks.com... a very similar service.

>> If the needs are very modest, a web bookmark service such as backflip
>> (www.backflip.com) could be useful. I've used backlip extensively. You can
>> define folders, subfolders etc.. For each bookmark you can define a title and a
>> description. There is a search facility which accepts a boolean function of
>> keywords and searches urls, titles, descriptions and the actual web pages for a
>> hit.

Thanks Brian.

--
Quentin Grady       ^  ^  /
New Zealand,       >#,#< [
                    / \ /\    
"... and the blind dog was leading."

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin



Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:17:14 GMT
 
 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Access to one's own doctor?

2. GP to one's own family

3. Awareness of one's own heartbeat

4. seeing one's own retinal vasculature

5. Managing perianal retroshock (Abstract)

6. Space Open - Who's Going to Manage - Managed Care

7. Study, those who manage thier own health care will have the greatest impact on hc costs

8. Call for abstracts: AAP Section on Computers 1998 Annual Mtg

9. Computer Therapy and Managed Care

10. One more request - Burrascano abstract


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software