Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do 
Author Message
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

I am new to this group, but I hope someone will take some time to answer a
question about Hep C. Sometime in late October, I noticed a dull pain (more
of a pressure really) just to the right of my esophagus at the lower edge of
my rib cage. I thought maybe I had an ulcer, so I tried adjusting my diet
accordingly, but when it didn't go away, I went to see the doctor in early
December. {*filter*}work turned up elevated enzyme levels, and a Hep test showed
"repeatedly" reactive for Hep C. I was a moderately heavy drinker for my
weight, 145 lbs., 3-6 beers every night and sometimes more on the weekend. I
stopped drinking immediateley and began researching Hep C. On Dec. 07, I
started myself on a regimen of high-potency vitamins, milk thistle seed
extract, choline, garlic, dandelion root tea, and St. Johns wort for some
mild depression. Last week I added licorice root, both capsule form and tea.
I have not returned to the doctor, because I am changing jobs, and am
worried about this pre-existing condition preventing the new insurance from
covering treatment. It will be at least another 45 days until I am covered
by the new insurance. The pain still comes and goes, and when it comes it is
worse; it is never completey absent. It doesn't bother me in the morning,
but it is always present to some degree in the afternoon and evening.
Physical activity seems to aggravate it. Other than this, I feel fine; good
appetite, energy levels are good, and I'm not turning yellow. In fact, since
I quit the regular drinking, I feel better overall than in a long time. My
question is, do any of you have this type of pain? And if so, does it last
forever? Is it a chronic cycle with correspondent viral activity? And can
anyone share insurance experience with me? I don't know if I should continue
my current course of action, or seek a hepatologist immediately, and damn
the insurance... This whole thing has me a little scared; any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Rick Wilson



Thu, 29 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Rick,

Yep, it is a real bummer to find out about HCV firsthand.  Just watch out for
the licoracage root raising your {*filter*} pressure and NO IRON in your vitamins or
diet, people with high iron have a poorer chance with HCV, with or without
treatment... according to several studies.

Good luck,

Me, I'm on Interferon & Ribavirin for 13 months and have a clean PCR so far.

Robert Moran

Quote:

> I am new to this group, but I hope someone will take some time to answer a
> question about Hep C. Sometime in late October, I noticed a dull pain (more
> of a pressure really) just to the right of my esophagus at the lower edge of
> my rib cage. I thought maybe I had an ulcer, so I tried adjusting my diet
> accordingly, but when it didn't go away, I went to see the doctor in early
> December. {*filter*}work turned up elevated enzyme levels, and a Hep test showed
> "repeatedly" reactive for Hep C. I was a moderately heavy drinker for my
> weight, 145 lbs., 3-6 beers every night and sometimes more on the weekend. I
> stopped drinking immediateley and began researching Hep C. On Dec. 07, I
> started myself on a regimen of high-potency vitamins, milk thistle seed
> the insurance... This whole thing has me a little scared; any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.

> Rick Wilson



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Thanks for the info about iron, I checked my vitamins and they don't have
any.

Quote:

>Rick,

>Yep, it is a real bummer to find out about HCV firsthand.  Just watch out
for
>the licoracage root raising your {*filter*} pressure and NO IRON in your
vitamins or
>diet, people with high iron have a poorer chance with HCV, with or without
>treatment... according to several studies.

>Good luck,

>Me, I'm on Interferon & Ribavirin for 13 months and have a clean PCR so
far.

>Robert Moran



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

You probably need to give your liver more time to recover from the
effects of {*filter*}.  If I remember correctly, the NIH recommends
waiting 6 months after cessation of {*filter*} consumption to re-test
after an initial HCV positive reading. You might want to check out
Enzymatics Therapy's Super Milk Thistle which not only has milk
thistle but also dandelion root, arti{*filter*}leaves and licorice root
extract. It's rather pricey ($25 for 60 tablets), but it does contain
all the herbs recommended to restore or maintain liver health.  One
thing you might consider when you're ready to re-check is going to
some clinic that only tests for STDs and having a {*filter*} test done
there.  I assume, don't know for sure since I don't know anyone who's
done this, that their test would also show elevated liver enzymes.

Be patient, and give these herbs time to do their work.  Healing and
recovery isn't always instantaneous.



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

The fact that you are having obvious symptoms would really worry me, and I
would recommend immediately seeing a specialist. I have no "obvious"
symptoms, except occasional fatigue (at 44 it would seem like that is normal
though!).If you have a family and others that you care about living for,
then I would get on this immediately, and ask your company about the
pre-existing condition thing. It could be that, if you aren't self-employed,
that the insurance company *has*  to take you, condition or no. My .02
cents.



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Hi Rick,

I have exactly this same pain in the same place. I was positive for Hep C in
1992, no symptoms what so ever until 1995, I would get this pain every now and
then and very dull. It increased as time went on. After I went off INF, It
increased a great deal. I know have it every day, not to bad in am, but
increases as day goes on, or if I do to much, but never goes away. Some times I
cant lay on my right side in bed, or bend over, or sit in certain positions. It
feels like I have a have a big brick in there pushing things around.

I do have an enlarged liver at this time, I supposedly by biopsy a year ago had
no permanant damage. But now they are thinking I might possibly have cirrhosis.
We will have to see.

I have no insurance so I cant help you with that. It has been a very hard road
with no insurance. It is getting worse now. I was just told saterday by my long
time Pharmacist that I should go see an attorney, in case I have to have a
transplant, to see what my husband and I need to do to protect ourselves so we
dont lose what little we have. I'm very pissed about this because we may have
to get a divorce, this really tears at my heart, so we shall see about that
too.

I dont know what the liver pain is from for sure. I have been told it is from
the hep c, I have also been told it's from inflammation. So maybe someone else
may be able to help you with that.

Just no that no matter what happens, you are going to be o.k. and that the sun
will SHINE again!!!!

-In His Love-
Laura
angel4now



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

I heard that the pain and inflammation were caused by the immune system
attacking the infected liver tissue. It seems to make sense to me, but could
easily be a load of crap. Thank you for your words of encouragement, and I
hope things get better with your situation.

Rick


Quote:
>Hi Rick,

>I have exactly this same pain in the same place. I was positive for Hep C
in
>1992, no symptoms what so ever until 1995, I would get this pain every now
and
>then and very dull. It increased as time went on. After I went off INF, It
>increased a great deal. I know have it every day, not to bad in am, but
>increases as day goes on, or if I do to much, but never goes away. Some
times I
>cant lay on my right side in bed, or bend over, or sit in certain
positions. It
>feels like I have a have a big brick in there pushing things around.



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Thats great that you responded so well to the treatment, does the milk
thistle help the pain? Thanks for sharing your expereince with me.
Rick



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Pat, thanks for the very good and extremely encouraging information. I will
look into the Enzymatics Therapy stuff. I don't know how many you're
supposed to take per day, but $25 for 60 is a lot less than what I'm paying
for those components seperately. Patience is my weakest point, but I will
try to keep a cool head about this and continue my herbal and nutritional
course. I think your idea about the STD clinic is a good one.

Quote:

>You probably need to give your liver more time to recover from the
>effects of {*filter*}.  If I remember correctly, the NIH recommends
>waiting 6 months after cessation of {*filter*} consumption to re-test
>after an initial HCV positive reading. You might want to check out
>Enzymatics Therapy's Super Milk Thistle which not only has milk
>thistle but also dandelion root, arti{*filter*}leaves and licorice root
>extract. It's rather pricey ($25 for 60 tablets), but it does contain
>all the herbs recommended to restore or maintain liver health.  One
>thing you might consider when you're ready to re-check is going to
>some clinic that only tests for STDs and having a {*filter*} test done
>there.  I assume, don't know for sure since I don't know anyone who's
>done this, that their test would also show elevated liver enzymes.

>Be patient, and give these herbs time to do their work.  Healing and
>recovery isn't always instantaneous.



Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

hi Rick my husband and i both have hep-c i never noticed the pain until after i
was diagnosed and had a biopsy but i too was a drinker so maybe the pain was
there but we never noticed like now since we dont drink my right side will hurt
if i lay on that side and when my husband eats chocolate that seems to iratate
his liver but as far as it going away i took interferon treatments a year ago
and responded and the disease supposebly has been dormit for 13 months but i
have always had the pain come and go we take the herb milk thistle which i
highly recomend you can try for yourself it seems to help well Rick i hope i
have been some help and relieved you some i usally dont write that much i guess
you could say im a lurker but your note caught my attention so write any time
hang tough things get better or could be worse.                                

       Your Hep Sis Colette



Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Quote:
>hi Rick my husband and i both have hep-c i never noticed the pain until after
>i
>was diagnosed and had a biopsy bu

Hi Colette....

I never had pain until after my biopsy...I feel there must be scar
tissure there...or something related to the biopsy.

Glad to here you are doing so well...havent been on treatment
yet....scared to death of it....how did you handle the side effects?
How is you husband?

Shelley



Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Dear Sir,

We may provide you natural supplement therapy , which will completely eliminate
your symptoms and cure your diseases. Our therapy is money back guaranteed. You
can contact us at:
www.niscsj.com.

With best wishes,

Natural Immune Supplements Corp



Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

To whomever sent the original post, be careful with these guys. IMHO they do
not appear to be ethical



Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Rick!  Good for you for being on the right track!  The medical model does
not have all the answers, that's for sure.  I am very interested in the
regimin that you are on because I am developing a plan with my doctor for
myself.  Could you please contact me and let me know?  Thnaks so much!
Lance



Quote:
> elevated enzyme levels, and a Hep test showed
> "repeatedly" reactive for Hep C. I was a moderately heavy drinker for my
> weight, 145 lbs., 3-6 beers every night and sometimes more on the
weekend. I
> stopped drinking immediateley and began researching Hep C. On Dec. 07, I
> started myself on a regimen of high-potency vitamins, milk thistle seed
> extract, choline, garlic, dandelion root tea, and St. Johns wort for some
> mild depression. Last week I added licorice root, both capsule form and
tea.
> Rick Wilson



Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Read, I am scared and don't know what to do

Quote:

>look into the Enzymatics Therapy stuff. I don't know how many you're
>supposed to take per day, but $25 for 60 is a lot less than what I'm paying
>for those components seperately.

Actually, you cannot say whether $25/60 is less or more than what you are
paying now unless and until you look at the quantities of the various
substances per pill.  And you have to be careful about the labeling, too.
I recently looked at one bottle that seemed really cheap until I read a third
time and notice the ingredients were per two pills, rather than per single
pill.

I'm going to look into those myself (if I can locate them at a local Health
cooking.net">food store).  I currently use Nature's Fingerprint Milk Thistle Seed Extract
because you get the second bottle at half price when you buy two, and each
bottle contains 100 capsules, and each capsule contains 200 mg. milk thistle
extract, which equals 160 mg. silymarin (80% silymarin) -- which ends up being
the lowest price I've found.  I normally take at least two capsules a day
(four if I remember to take a second dose -- I take two with my daily multi-
vitamin and antioxidant complex).

Of course, these things aren't regulated, so I'm *hoping* I'm getting what
it says on the label.  Sometimes I'll buy another brand and alternate between
the two since then I expect to have a better chance of getting what I think
I'm getting.  I always stick with fairly large, well-known brands, too, on
the assumption that they'll more likely be truthful with their labeling.

-Pete Zakel

November, n.:
        The eleventh twelfth of a weariness.
                -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"



Sat, 08 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. DON'T READ, PLEASE IT'S A TEST

2. Don't Know, Don't Answer

3. Don't know? Don't answer

4. Don't know? Don't an

5. Fw: LIFT Act - Don't read the article read the actual Act

6. Fw: LIFT Act - Don't read the article read the actual Act

7. You don't have to know much to be John Grohol (as we know him)

8. Why Americans don't know what the rest of the world knows


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software