Implant vs. Maryland bridge 
Author Message
 Implant vs. Maryland bridge

My daughter-in-law (age 27) is missing one of her front teeth (courtesy of a
dark night and a sliding glass door).

By way of explanation, she is Russian, only having been in the US for two
years. She is used to medicine being free (or nearly so) and has a problem
relating to the high cost of our medical and dental care.

She needs help deciding whether to go with an implant or a Maryland bridge.
Her implant fears are: "What if it doesn't take?" "What if I fall?"

She's leery of the Maryland bridge because it means the enamel will be
"scratched" on her good teeth on either side.

To complicate matters, she is newly pregnant.

I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks,

Lois



Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:26:59 GMT
 Implant vs. Maryland bridge
Both are good methods of replacing a missing front tooth. The Maryland
bridge can be done with very little preparation of the teeth unless her
lower front teeth are literally touching the back of the top ones. A single
tooth implant to replace a missing front tooth has a good chance of success.

There is no procedure that does not involve some preparation of the teeth or
some surgery. Another option would be to cantilever a single front tooth of
a back crown, if she has an existing back crown that would be suitable, but
that would also involve a small bar across the roof of her mouth.

--
Derek Watson
www.dental-advice.org


Quote:
> My daughter-in-law (age 27) is missing one of her front teeth (courtesy of
a
> dark night and a sliding glass door).

> By way of explanation, she is Russian, only having been in the US for two
> years. She is used to medicine being free (or nearly so) and has a problem
> relating to the high cost of our medical and dental care.

> She needs help deciding whether to go with an implant or a Maryland
bridge.
> Her implant fears are: "What if it doesn't take?" "What if I fall?"

> She's leery of the Maryland bridge because it means the enamel will be
> "scratched" on her good teeth on either side.

> To complicate matters, she is newly pregnant.

> I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks,

> Lois



Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:18:41 GMT
 Implant vs. Maryland bridge
    Where is Maris when you need him?

Steve

Quote:

> Both are good methods of replacing a missing front tooth. The Maryland
> bridge can be done with very little preparation of the teeth unless her
> lower front teeth are literally touching the back of the top ones. A single
> tooth implant to replace a missing front tooth has a good chance of success.

> There is no procedure that does not involve some preparation of the teeth or
> some surgery. Another option would be to cantilever a single front tooth of
> a back crown, if she has an existing back crown that would be suitable, but
> that would also involve a small bar across the roof of her mouth.

> --
> Derek Watson
> www.dental-advice.org



> > My daughter-in-law (age 27) is missing one of her front teeth (courtesy of
> a
> > dark night and a sliding glass door).

> > By way of explanation, she is Russian, only having been in the US for two
> > years. She is used to medicine being free (or nearly so) and has a problem
> > relating to the high cost of our medical and dental care.

> > She needs help deciding whether to go with an implant or a Maryland
> bridge.
> > Her implant fears are: "What if it doesn't take?" "What if I fall?"

> > She's leery of the Maryland bridge because it means the enamel will be
> > "scratched" on her good teeth on either side.

> > To complicate matters, she is newly pregnant.

> > I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks,

> > Lois

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001
http://www.dentaltwins.com


Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:34:51 GMT
 Implant vs. Maryland bridge
The pregnancy doesn't complicate thing, unless...the baby needs a maryland
bridge as well. That can be a complication.

Allen Pearson, DDS

Quote:
> My daughter-in-law (age 27) is missing one of her front teeth (courtesy of
a
> dark night and a sliding glass door).

> By way of explanation, she is Russian, only having been in the US for two
> years. She is used to medicine being free (or nearly so) and has a problem
> relating to the high cost of our medical and dental care.

> She needs help deciding whether to go with an implant or a Maryland
bridge.
> Her implant fears are: "What if it doesn't take?" "What if I fall?"

> She's leery of the Maryland bridge because it means the enamel will be
> "scratched" on her good teeth on either side.

> To complicate matters, she is newly pregnant.

> I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks,

> Lois



Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:43:32 GMT
 Implant vs. Maryland bridge

Quote:

>There is no procedure that does not involve some preparation of the teeth or
>some surgery. Another option would be to cantilever a single front tooth of
>a back crown, if she has an existing back crown that would be suitable, but
>that would also involve a small bar across the roof of her mouth.

>--
>Derek Watson
>www.dental-advice.org

Geez, I've never seen a central cantilevered off a molar.... Must be pretty
neat!!  LOL
I bet they don't do that even in Russia.


Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:15:03 GMT
 Implant vs. Maryland bridge



Quote:
>     Where is Maris when you need him?

He's at dentaltown.  An excerpt follows:

Please please, restrict this site to dentists and dental related personell
only. Pretty soon we will have every single person with an internet
connection and an agenda on these boards. The discussions will get very
stale as some of these people are professional internet surfers.
DENTISTS ONLY PLEASE!

--------------------

Sameer Puri DDS
General & Esthetic Dentistry
www.estheticdentalcenter.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Posts: 686 | From:  Tarzana, Ca | Registered:  |  IP: Logged

drmjlans
Official Townie
Member # 8670
  posted June 12, 2001 06:26 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
I bailed out of the deja sci.med.dentistry forum just for that reason. Not
that any of us can walk on water, but that other site was over-run by a
bunch of half-informed lunatics...understandably a representative
cross-section of society at large, but we dentists need our own asylum once
in a while. How about a public thread where WE can lurk?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Posts: 77 | From: {*filter*}ia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

desert rat
Official Townie
Member # 8580
  posted June 12, 2001 06:30 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
It would be nice to screen out all sales pitches. Also to screen out all the
nut cases out there.

http://www.***.com/



Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:13:17 GMT
 Implant vs. Maryland bridge
I was going to pitch in about a MonoDont, until read that she did not want
any "scratches" on the adjacent teeth.

BTW,,, for anyone interested Patient who just left had a MonoDont placed to
replace #10 last November.  Perio is not good enough to justify conventional
FPD, and the patient cannot afford $2100 for it.  Monodont still looks GREAT
!!
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Stephen Mancuso, D.D.S.

Troy, Michigan  USA
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
This posting is intended for informational or conversational purposes only.
Always seek the opinion of a licensed dental professional before acting on
the advice or opinion expressed here.  Only a dentist who has examined you
in person can diagnose your problems and make decisions which will effect
your health.
......................



Quote:
>     Where is Maris when you need him?

> Steve


> > Both are good methods of replacing a missing front tooth. The Maryland
> > bridge can be done with very little preparation of the teeth unless her
> > lower front teeth are literally touching the back of the top ones. A
single
> > tooth implant to replace a missing front tooth has a good chance of
success.

> > There is no procedure that does not involve some preparation of the
teeth or
> > some surgery. Another option would be to cantilever a single front tooth
of
> > a back crown, if she has an existing back crown that would be suitable,
but
> > that would also involve a small bar across the roof of her mouth.

> > --
> > Derek Watson
> > www.dental-advice.org



> > > My daughter-in-law (age 27) is missing one of her front teeth
(courtesy of
> > a
> > > dark night and a sliding glass door).

> > > By way of explanation, she is Russian, only having been in the US for
two
> > > years. She is used to medicine being free (or nearly so) and has a
problem
> > > relating to the high cost of our medical and dental care.

> > > She needs help deciding whether to go with an implant or a Maryland
> > bridge.
> > > Her implant fears are: "What if it doesn't take?" "What if I fall?"

> > > She's leery of the Maryland bridge because it means the enamel will be
> > > "scratched" on her good teeth on either side.

> > > To complicate matters, she is newly pregnant.

> > > I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks,

> > > Lois

> --
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
> Brooklyn, NY
> 718-258-5001
> http://www.dentaltwins.com



Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:39:18 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Implant vs. Maryland bridge -- NEED facts & opinions

2. Encore Bridge vs Maryland Bridge

3. Maryland bridge vs. Three crown bridge

4. Maryland bridge advice needed...aesthetics vs. function

5. Fixed bridge, Maryland bridge

6. Teeth: Implant vs. Bridge

7. Implants Vs. Bridges??

8. Advise - Implant vs. Bridge

9. bridge vs. implant

10. Implant vs. Bridge

11. Implants vs. bridge repair

12. Implants vs. bridge


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software