Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure 
Author Message
 Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure

Is this a necessary procedure? I have been going to the dentist for my
entire live (58 yrs). Today I went to the dentist for a routine teeth
cleaning. My old dentist passed away and the new one who purchased his
practice hired a new hygienist. She proceeded to poke around my gums and
called out numbers on each tooth to an assistant who logged them into a
computer. After this was done she told me that I had infection on my gums
and needed a " deep cleaning" with a cavitron which she showed me just
shoots water out. I was there for about 1.5 hours and never got my teeth
cleaned. They want me to come back for a 2 hour procedure where they do this
cleaning and then return every 3 months for a year. This is going to cost me
about $100 per visit. I am wondering if this is just a way for the dentist
to make more money, or is it something that I really need.

R



Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:19:32 GMT
 Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure

Quote:
> Is this a necessary procedure? I have been going to the dentist for my
> entire live (58 yrs). Today I went to the dentist for a routine teeth
> cleaning. My old dentist passed away and the new one who purchased his
> practice hired a new hygienist. She proceeded to poke around my gums and
> called out numbers on each tooth to an assistant who logged them into a
> computer. After this was done she told me that I had infection on my gums
> and needed a " deep cleaning" with a cavitron which she showed me just
> shoots water out. I was there for about 1.5 hours and never got my teeth
> cleaned. They want me to come back for a 2 hour procedure where they do this
> cleaning and then return every 3 months for a year. This is going to cost me
> about $100 per visit. I am wondering if this is just a way for the dentist
> to make more money, or is it something that I really need.

> R

        It is not "just a way for the dentist to make more money", any more
than are fillings, crowns or bridges.  If you need it, it's perfectly
appropriate.
        Do you need it?  I'd have to examine you visually and look at your
x-rays to tell you that.  What I will say however is that if you've
gotten to the age of 59 and this is the first time you've been "poked in
the gums" for a pocket-depth reading, well--it's about time.
        You may or may not have periodontal problems, but your previous dentist
was remiss if he didn't check.

Steve



Wed, 30 Apr 2014 01:48:29 GMT
 Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure


Quote:

>> Is this a necessary procedure? I have been going to the dentist for my
>> entire live (58 yrs). Today I went to the dentist for a routine teeth
>> cleaning. My old dentist passed away and the new one who purchased his
>> practice hired a new hygienist. She proceeded to poke around my gums and
>> called out numbers on each tooth to an assistant who logged them into a
>> computer. After this was done she told me that I had infection on my gums
>> and needed a " deep cleaning" with a cavitron which she showed me just
>> shoots water out. I was there for about 1.5 hours and never got my teeth
>> cleaned. They want me to come back for a 2 hour procedure where they do
>> this
>> cleaning and then return every 3 months for a year. This is going to cost
>> me
>> about $100 per visit. I am wondering if this is just a way for the
>> dentist
>> to make more money, or is it something that I really need.

>> R

> It is not "just a way for the dentist to make more money", any more than
> are fillings, crowns or bridges.  If you need it, it's perfectly
> appropriate.
> Do you need it?  I'd have to examine you visually and look at your x-rays
> to tell you that.  What I will say however is that if you've gotten to the
> age of 59 and this is the first time you've been "poked in the gums" for a
> pocket-depth reading, well--it's about time.
> You may or may not have periodontal problems, but your previous dentist
> was remiss if he didn't check.

> Steve

Thank you for your reply Steve, is this a relatively new procedure or one
that is becoming more popular. Yes this is the first time that I have been
poked like this. You just hear so many horror stories about things I guess I
am becoming a pessimist
R


Wed, 30 Apr 2014 08:57:16 GMT
 Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure

Quote:



>>> Is this a necessary procedure? I have been going to the dentist for my
>>> entire live (58 yrs). Today I went to the dentist for a routine teeth
>>> cleaning. My old dentist passed away and the new one who purchased his
>>> practice hired a new hygienist. She proceeded to poke around my gums and
>>> called out numbers on each tooth to an assistant who logged them into a
>>> computer. After this was done she told me that I had infection on my gums
>>> and needed a " deep cleaning" with a cavitron which she showed me just
>>> shoots water out. I was there for about 1.5 hours and never got my teeth
>>> cleaned. They want me to come back for a 2 hour procedure where they do
>>> this
>>> cleaning and then return every 3 months for a year. This is going to cost
>>> me
>>> about $100 per visit. I am wondering if this is just a way for the
>>> dentist
>>> to make more money, or is it something that I really need.

>>> R

>> It is not "just a way for the dentist to make more money", any more than
>> are fillings, crowns or bridges.  If you need it, it's perfectly
>> appropriate.
>> Do you need it?  I'd have to examine you visually and look at your x-rays
>> to tell you that.  What I will say however is that if you've gotten to the
>> age of 59 and this is the first time you've been "poked in the gums" for a
>> pocket-depth reading, well--it's about time.
>> You may or may not have periodontal problems, but your previous dentist
>> was remiss if he didn't check.

>> Steve
> Thank you for your reply Steve, is this a relatively new procedure or one
> that is becoming more popular. Yes this is the first time that I have been
> poked like this. You just hear so many horror stories about things I guess I
> am becoming a pessimist
> R

"Deep cleaning" is a colloquial equivalent to root planing, and as such
has been around many years.  I suppose it can be done with a Cavitron
(an ultrasonic scaler), but is traditionally done with hand instruments.
  The root surfaces are "planed" (scaled) to remove all tartar.  In
patients with periodontal pockets, this involves cleaning the root
surface significantly below the gumline.  Often it is necessary to use a
local anesthetic injection.  Done correctly, it is a painstaking,
careful and rather tedious, as esp. on the molar roots there are a lot
of variable contours which must be meticulously made smooth.  Generally
done by quadrants (quarters of the mouth) it may take multiple visits
(esp. if a local anesthetic was required).

Hope this helps,
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001



Wed, 30 Apr 2014 22:01:20 GMT
 Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure
anyone on this newsgroup have experience with this ?

http://www.perioprotect.com



Sat, 07 Jun 2014 07:17:26 GMT
 Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure
hmmm...

there sure are alot of great testimonials, wonder why it's not more
widely known ?

(or, I've been living under a rock!)



Mon, 09 Jun 2014 02:13:39 GMT
 Periodontal scaling and root planing procedure

Quote:
> anyone on this newsgroup have experience with this ?

> http://www.perioprotect.com

There are few dentists on this ng who check in anymore--sadly, as it was
a terrific forum and I learned a lot from my colleagues here.
As for "perioprotect", I know nothing about it.  I find the secrecy
off-putting.
Usually when a hot technology comes out, there may be barriers to entry
for dentists to adopt the treatment, but at least they give you some
clue as to what their deal is.  Here they want you to take a course, or
take a webinar.
There is plenty of research going on in periodontology.  The good work
is published in peer-reviewed journals.  There is this on the website:

"What does research tell us about the Perio Protect Method??

Since the Perio Protect Method? was introduced to the public in 2005,
peer-reviewed articles, case studies and research abstracts have
appeared in professional journals. Scientific posters have also been
presented at professional dental research meetings. The research shows
that placing antibiofilm agents with oxidative/oxygenating properties
into the pockets via a custom-formed prescription dental tray reduces
bacterial populations, decreases bleeding on probing, decreases
C-Reactive Protein levels (a known marker of inflammation), and results
in decreased periodontal pocket depths."

...but then no references are given.
To me, this does not pass the smell test.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001



Mon, 09 Jun 2014 09:26:27 GMT
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Scaling/root planing necessary? (123)

2. Scaling/root planing necessary?

3. Root planing vs perio scaling

4. scaling & root planing (123)

5. scaling & root planing (123)

6. root planing & scaling

7. Fevers after scaling and root planing???

8. scaling and root planing...

9. Root Planing and Scaling

10. scaling and root planing

11. Efficacy of scaling and root planing?

12. Mark's scaling and root planing ...


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software