help - dental dilemma (pain persists after root canals and crown removal) 
Author Message
 help - dental dilemma (pain persists after root canals and crown removal)

I seem to be at a decision point.

   Upper right molar - #16 - has now had root c{*filter*}
(Nov 4th, been re-examined by endodontist on Feb 4th)
and prepared for new crown, i.e. old crown and decay
removed, post installed, temporary crown installed
(Feb 6th).

   Still hurts - sensitive to touch, had severe stabbing
pain up into my cheek Feb.12 & 13th, exactly like I've had
the past twenty years since the old crown was slapped on.

  Any head movement at all would trigger the pain. Touch
wood - it seems to have settled down now.

   (would a cracked root cause this ? faulty root c{*filter*}?)

   Endodontist said molar #17 needs treatment, dentist
says it's not causing the pain. It's not sensitive to tapping,
while #16 is.

  The  gum remains tender above both teeth. Suppose I could
go for another root canal, but I'm not impressed with the results
so far.

   Logical thing is to have  both teeth pulled and be done
with. :-(

   I've had 3 different dentists tell me I can't get an
implant for an upper molar, and I see some people have
had problems with infections and such post-implant.

   Appointments Feb 20th for crowns, and March 3rd to replace
fillings and extract lower left molar (which I still need to chew).

   I'm inclined to reverse that schedule, unless the temporary
crowns are causing problems.

   I don't want a new crown installed until this is resolved.
Or will it settle down once the temporary crown is removed and
the permanent crown installed ?  Why ?

   I have been chewing, including apples, although the temporary
crowns don't meet the opposing teeth, so perhaps that limits the
force applied. Or would chewing perpetuate the pain ?

   Any words of encouragement ? Try yet another dentist ?

    (I sure wish I had the other poster's dentist who offered
a money-back  guarantee. I've spent $3K so far for 2 root
canals and 2 crown preparations, and face another $2K for the
permanent crowns. Extractions would have cost $300 :-(  )

   Thanks.



Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:11:23 GMT
 help - dental dilemma (pain persists after root canals and crown removal)

Quote:

> I seem to be at a decision point.

>    Upper right molar - #16 - has now had root c{*filter*}
> (Nov 4th, been re-examined by endodontist on Feb 4th)
> and prepared for new crown, i.e. old crown and decay
> removed, post installed, temporary crown installed
> (Feb 6th).

>    Still hurts - sensitive to touch, had severe stabbing
> pain up into my cheek Feb.12 & 13th, exactly like I've had
> the past twenty years since the old crown was slapped on.

>   Any head movement at all would trigger the pain. Touch
> wood - it seems to have settled down now.

        This is the only line here that raises a red flag for me.  Change in
pain levels that are posturally related can be a sign of sinus
infection, but they are not generally described as "stabbing".  A
cracked tooth can certainly cause sharp pain when biting, but not from
merely moving your head.
        Your use of the term "trigger" is telling.  I was at a local academy
meeting Wednesday evening.  The talk was by a dentist with additional
training in oro{*filter*} pain diagnosis and management.
        One of the things he mentioned is that neuralgic pain doesn't always
present classically, like in the textbook.  Typically, patients receive
a lot of dental treatment that doesn't solve the problem.
        Leaving aside your real dental problems, if the pain problem persists,
I would go to your family physician or dentist and ask if a referral for
a neurological evaluation is warranted.

Good luck,
Steve

Quote:

>    (would a cracked root cause this ? faulty root c{*filter*}?)

>    Endodontist said molar #17 needs treatment, dentist
> says it's not causing the pain. It's not sensitive to tapping,
> while #16 is.

>   The  gum remains tender above both teeth. Suppose I could
> go for another root canal, but I'm not impressed with the results
> so far.

>    Logical thing is to have  both teeth pulled and be done
> with. :-(

>    I've had 3 different dentists tell me I can't get an
> implant for an upper molar, and I see some people have
> had problems with infections and such post-implant.

>    Appointments Feb 20th for crowns, and March 3rd to replace
> fillings and extract lower left molar (which I still need to chew).

>    I'm inclined to reverse that schedule, unless the temporary
> crowns are causing problems.

>    I don't want a new crown installed until this is resolved.
> Or will it settle down once the temporary crown is removed and
> the permanent crown installed ?  Why ?

>    I have been chewing, including apples, although the temporary
> crowns don't meet the opposing teeth, so perhaps that limits the
> force applied. Or would chewing perpetuate the pain ?

>    Any words of encouragement ? Try yet another dentist ?

>     (I sure wish I had the other poster's dentist who offered
> a money-back  guarantee. I've spent $3K so far for 2 root
> canals and 2 crown preparations, and face another $2K for the
> permanent crowns. Extractions would have cost $300 :-(  )

>    Thanks.



Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:13:07 GMT
 help - dental dilemma (pain persists after root canals and crown removal)


Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 help - dental dilemma (pain persists after root canals and crown removal)

Quote:


> > I seem to be at a decision point.

> >    Upper right molar - #16 - has now had root c{*filter*}
> > (Nov 4th, been re-examined by endodontist on Feb 4th)
> > and prepared for new crown, i.e. old crown and decay
> > removed, post installed, temporary crown installed
> > (Feb 6th).

> >    Still hurts - sensitive to touch, had severe stabbing
> > pain up into my cheek Feb.12 & 13th, exactly like I've had
> > the past twenty years since the old crown was slapped on.

> >   Any head movement at all would trigger the pain. Touch
> > wood - it seems to have settled down now.

> This is the only line here that raises a red flag for me.  

REPLY

Me too! I am always
suspicious when a patient
is touching wood to his/her
tooth!

Joel M. Eichen DDS

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>Change in
> pain levels that are posturally related can be a sign of sinus
> infection, but they are not generally described as "stabbing".  A
> cracked tooth can certainly cause sharp pain when biting, but not from
> merely moving your head.
> Your use of the term "trigger" is telling.  I was at a local academy
> meeting Wednesday evening.  The talk was by a dentist with additional
> training in oro{*filter*} pain diagnosis and management.
> One of the things he mentioned is that neuralgic pain doesn't always
> present classically, like in the textbook.  Typically, patients receive
> a lot of dental treatment that doesn't solve the problem.
> Leaving aside your real dental problems, if the pain problem persists,
> I would go to your family physician or dentist and ask if a referral for
> a neurological evaluation is warranted.

> Good luck,
> Steve

> >    (would a cracked root cause this ? faulty root c{*filter*}?)

> >    Endodontist said molar #17 needs treatment, dentist
> > says it's not causing the pain. It's not sensitive to tapping,
> > while #16 is.

> >   The  gum remains tender above both teeth. Suppose I could
> > go for another root canal, but I'm not impressed with the results
> > so far.

> >    Logical thing is to have  both teeth pulled and be done
> > with. :-(

> >    I've had 3 different dentists tell me I can't get an
> > implant for an upper molar, and I see some people have
> > had problems with infections and such post-implant.

> >    Appointments Feb 20th for crowns, and March 3rd to replace
> > fillings and extract lower left molar (which I still need to chew).

> >    I'm inclined to reverse that schedule, unless the temporary
> > crowns are causing problems.

> >    I don't want a new crown installed until this is resolved.
> > Or will it settle down once the temporary crown is removed and
> > the permanent crown installed ?  Why ?

> >    I have been chewing, including apples, although the temporary
> > crowns don't meet the opposing teeth, so perhaps that limits the
> > force applied. Or would chewing perpetuate the pain ?

> >    Any words of encouragement ? Try yet another dentist ?

> >     (I sure wish I had the other poster's dentist who offered
> > a money-back  guarantee. I've spent $3K so far for 2 root
> > canals and 2 crown preparations, and face another $2K for the
> > permanent crowns. Extractions would have cost $300 :-(  )

> >    Thanks.



Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:57:24 GMT
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. pain persists after root canal

2. Dental Horrors - Crowns/Root Canals

3. Dental Horrors - Crowns/Root Canals

4. Pain after root canal, post and crown

5. OUCH! Root Canal and Crown PAIN

6. Crown w/ root-canal: Pain and luxation - extraction??

7. Pain after Crown/Root Canal was done

8. Pain in Root Canal/Crowned Tooth

9. root canal dilemma

10. Root Canal - lots of pain: Help

11. Help ! Gum Pain 2 weeks after root canal

12. need help on pain before root canal


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software