American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc ~ 1934 
Author Message
 American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc ~ 1934

~~~ Don't remember which True Believer of the HealthFraud cult was
claiming that shrinks weren't licensed in Barrett's day. How old is he
anyway? ?

Looks like they've been around setting standards in Psychiatry since 1934.

Why wouldn't get have gotten his Board Certification ? ? ? ?

http://www.***.com/

History

The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. is a non-profit
corporation that was founded in 1934 following conferences of committees
appointed by the American Psychiatric Association, the American
Neurological Association, and the then Section on Nervous and Mental
Diseases of the American Medical Association. This action was taken as a
method of identifying the qualified specialists in psychiatry and
neurology.

Composition of the Board

The Board consists of six{*filter*} members. The nominating organizations for
psychiatry are the American Psychiatric Association and the American
Medical Association; for neurology, they are the American Neurological
Association and? the American Academy of Neurology. Each of these
organizations proposes nominees to serve on the Board, but the Board
itself selects its members. The Board is independently incorporated.

Elections to fill the places of members whose terms have expired take
place annually. Neurology and psychiatry are always equally represented on
the Board. The Board holds meetings several times each year for the
purpose of examining candidates and transacting business.

Mission and Goals

The mission of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. is to
serve the public interest by promoting excellence in the practice of
psychiatry and neurology through lifelong certification including
competency testing processes.

Methods for achieving that goal include (but are not limited to) efforts to:

1. Describe, in terms of knowledge and skills, a physician with special
expertise in evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of patients with
psychiatric and/or neurologic disorders or who require psychiatric and/or
neurologic assessment;
2. Set the standards for knowledge and skills required for certification;
3. Construct and administer examinations designed to evaluate those skills
and knowledge;
4. Monitor, evaluate, and improve the standards and procedures of the
certification process;
5. Participate in the appropriate Residency Review Committees of the
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education to set standards for
the quality and scope of residency training programs to ensure that their
graduates will obtain necessary training credit toward certification;
6. Issue certificates and other forms of recognition to successful candidates;
7. Make available lists of diplomates who have fulfilled the requirements
for certification;
8. Inform the public, other professions, and other medical organizations
of the purposes, activities, and responsibilities of the Corporation; and
9. Participate in the activities of the American Board of Medical
Specialties and its member Boards.

Selected Policies
(For a more complete outline of ABPN policies, please refer to the
Information for Applicants booklet)

Revocation of Certificates

The Board has the authority to revoke any certificate issued by it or to
place a certificate holder on probation for a fixed or indefinite period
of time if (1) the certificate was issued contrary to, or in violation of,
the bylaws or any rule or regulation of the Board, or (2) the person to
whom the certificate was issued made any material misstatement or omission
of fact to the Board in his or her application or otherwise.

Certification shall continue in force only so long as the holder has an
unrestricted license to practice medicine in a state, commonwealth,
territory, or possession of the United States or province of Canada. A
full and unrestricted medical license must be maintained even if a
physician is out of the country for extended periods of time. Restrictions
include but are not limited to conditions, contingencies, probation, and
stipulated agreements. Restriction of a physician's license does not,
however, include voluntary participation in an impaired physicians program
or other appropriate, monitored {*filter*} or chemical substance-abuse
recovery program, if the physician has not been reported to either the
National Practitioners' Data Bank or the Data Bank of the Federation of
State Medical Boards. It is the responsibility of the candidate/diplomate
to inform the Board immediately upon a change in licensure status.

Irregular behavior including unethical behavior of candidates

The Board believes that the ethics of candidates for certification are of
concern. The following rules apply:

1. Falsification of credentials will be cause for the Board1s refusal to
admit a candidate to examination for up to five years.
2. The Board will consider legal action against anyone who forges an ABPN
certificate, copies ABPN examinations or otherwise uses them in conflict
with copyright laws, or in any other way violates the legal prerogatives
of the Board. Such activities will also be cause for the Board1s refusal
to admit a candidate to examination for up to five years.
3. Scores on written examinations may be invalidated for reasons of
irregular behavior. Statistical analyses may be used to confirm suspected
cheating. If an examination score is invalidated, the candidate may submit
a written appeal within 30 days of notice of invalidation. An appeal fee
must accompany the written appeal. The Committee to Review Appeals will
review the materials and make a recommendation to the Board. The Board
will review the materials and make a decision that, in all cases, will be
final and binding on the Board and on the candidate. All correspondence or
other materials should be sent to the Board office. If an examination
score is invalidated because of irregular behavior, the Board will not
consider the candidate for examination for a period of up to five years,
depending on the irregular behavior. A repeat application and examination
fee will be required.
4. Irregular behavior on {*filter*}examinations may be considered sufficient
reason to invalidate a candidate1s score. If the examination score is
invalidated, the candidate may submit a written appeal within 30 days of
notice of invalidation. An appeal fee must accompany the written appeal.
The Committee to Review Appeals will review the materials and make a
recommendation to the Board. The Board will review the materials and make
a decision that, in all cases, will be final and binding on the Board and
on the candidate. All correspondence or other materials should be sent to
the Board office. If an examination score is invalidated because of
irregular behavior, the Board will not consider the candidate for
examination for a period of up to five years, depending on the irregular
behavior. A repeat application and examination fee will be required.
5. "Irregular behavior" shall include, but not be limited to, the
following conduct: (a) copying answers from another candidate1s
examination; (b) knowingly permitting another candidate to copy one1s
answers on an examination; (c) unauthorized possession, reproduction, or
disclosure (via oral, written, or electronic media) of examination
materials or content, at any time; (d) use of audio equipment to record
any part of an {*filter*}examination; (e) offering any financial or other
benefit to any director, officer, employee, proctor, diplomate, or other
agent or representative of the Board in return for any right, privilege,
or benefit that is not granted by the Board to other similarly situated
candidates or persons; (f) not complying with proctors1 or examiners1
instructions; (g) disregarding time limits; and (h) any other form of
disruptive behavior, including repeated or excessive verbal complaints.
6. Notification of the Board1s action may be sent to legitimately
interested third parties, including the American Medical Association,
state medical societies, medical licensing boards, and appropriate
specialty societies.

Board Eligibility

The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc., in accordance with
the policy of the American Board of Medical Specialties, does not
recognize or use the term "Board eligible" and does not issue statements
concerning "Board eligibility." The Board informs an applicant of
admissibility to examination only when the applicant has an active,
approved application on file in the Board office.

Conflict of Interest

In order to maintain the confidence of the public and the medical
profession in the integrity of the Board, it is important for those doing
its work to avoid certain activities that could provide the opportunity
for an actual conflict of interest or the appearance thereof. A conflict
of interest is defined as an instance wherein a competing outside activity
or holding could influence or appear to influence the Board1s activities
in the area of policy development, evaluation of training programs, or
examination development. Examples of such competing outside interests are
compensated direct employment, paid advisory or consultant positions,
significant personal investments, or other affiliations as an officer
and/or director in a pharmaceutical or medical supply company.

As an alternative to regulating investment or employment, the Board has
chosen to manage matters related to the appearance of a conflict of
interest by encouraging disclosure of significant financial interests or
relationships and abstention from participation in decision-making related
to a matter that could give rise to a conflict of interest (due to a
material financial interest or relationship).

Annually, Board members, subspecialty committee members, test committee
members, written examination proctors, the Executive Vice President, and
staff members of the Board are required to complete a form disclosing the
following general information:

1. License restrictions to practice medicine.
2. ...

read more »



Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:43:10 GMT
 American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc ~ 1934

Quote:

>Date: 5/1/01 9:43 PM US Eastern Standard Time

>~~~ Don't remember which True Believer of the HealthFraud cult was
>claiming that shrinks weren't licensed in Barrett's day. How old is he
>anyway? ?

Old enough to know better.

Quote:
>Why wouldn't get have gotten his Board Certification ? ? ? ?

EXACTLY!

<snip>

Quote:
>The Board holds meetings several times each year for the
>purpose of examining candidates and transacting business.

Interesting.

Quote:
>Mission and Goals

>The mission of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. is to
>serve the public interest by promoting excellence in the practice of
>psychiatry and neurology through lifelong certification including competency

testing processes.

Even MORE interesting. Barrett claims to be protecting the public, but he was
never board certified??  Something bad wrong with this picture.

Quote:
>Methods for achieving that goal include (but are not limited to) efforts to:
>1. Describe, in terms of knowledge and skills, a physician with special
>expertise in evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of patients with
>psychiatric and/or neurologic disorders or who require psychiatric and/or
>neurologic assessment;
>2. Set the standards for knowledge and skills required for certification;
>3. Construct and administer examinations designed to evaluate those skills
>and knowledge;
>4. Monitor, evaluate, and improve the standards and procedures of the
>certification process;
>5. Participate in the appropriate Residency Review Committees of the
>Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education to set standards for
>the quality and scope of residency training programs to ensure that their
>graduates will obtain necessary training credit toward certification;
>6. Issue certificates and other forms of recognition to successful
>candidates;
>7. Make available lists of diplomates who have fulfilled the requirements
>for certification;
>8. Inform the public, other professions, and other medical organizations
>of the purposes, activities, and responsibilities of the Corporation; and
>9. Participate in the activities of the American Board of Medical
>Specialties and its member Boards.

This would explain why everyone should always find out if one is certified. If
not, chose another doctor.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>The Board has the authority to revoke any certificate issued by it or to
>place a certificate holder on probation for a fixed or indefinite period
>of time if (1) the certificate was issued contrary to, or in violation of,
>the bylaws or any rule or regulation of the Board, or (2) the person to
>whom the certificate was issued made any material misstatement or omission
>of fact to the Board in his or her application or otherwise.

>Certification shall continue in force only so long as the holder has an
>unrestricted license to practice medicine in a state, commonwealth,
>territory, or possession of the United States or province of Canada. A
>full and unrestricted medical license must be maintained even if a
>physician is out of the country for extended periods of time. Restrictions
>include but are not limited to conditions, contingencies, probation, and
>stipulated agreements. Restriction of a physician's license does not,
>however, include voluntary participation in an impaired physicians program
>or other appropriate, monitored {*filter*} or chemical substance-abuse
>recovery program, if the physician has not been reported to either the
>National Practitioners' Data Bank or the Data Bank of the Federation of
>State Medical Boards. It is the responsibility of the candidate/diplomate
>to inform the Board immediately upon a change in licensure status.

Well. Maybe this explains why he wasn't ever certified??

Didn't want anyone looking over his shoulder?

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>Irregular behavior including unethical behavior of candidates

>The Board believes that the ethics of candidates for certification are of
>concern. The following rules apply:

>1. Falsification of credentials will be cause for the Board1s refusal to
>admit a candidate to examination for up to five years.
>2. The Board will consider legal action against anyone who forges an ABPN
>certificate, copies ABPN examinations or otherwise uses them in conflict
>with copyright laws, or in any other way violates the legal prerogatives
>of the Board. Such activities will also be cause for the Board1s refusal
>to admit a candidate to examination for up to five years.
>3. Scores on written examinations may be invalidated for reasons of
>irregular behavior. Statistical analyses may be used to confirm suspected
>cheating. If an examination score is invalidated, the candidate may submit
>a written appeal within 30 days of notice of invalidation. An appeal fee
>must accompany the written appeal. The Committee to Review Appeals will
>review the materials and make a recommendation to the Board. The Board
>will review the materials and make a decision that, in all cases, will be
>final and binding on the Board and on the candidate. All correspondence or
>other materials should be sent to the Board office. If an examination
>score is invalidated because of irregular behavior, the Board will not
>consider the candidate for examination for a period of up to five years,
>depending on the irregular behavior. A repeat application and examination
>fee will be required.
>4. Irregular behavior on {*filter*}examinations may be considered sufficient
>reason to invalidate a candidate1s score. If the examination score is
>invalidated, the candidate may submit a written appeal within 30 days of
>notice of invalidation. An appeal fee must accompany the written appeal.
>The Committee to Review Appeals will review the materials and make a
>recommendation to the Board. The Board will review the materials and make
>a decision that, in all cases, will be final and binding on the Board and
>on the candidate. All correspondence or other materials should be sent to
>the Board office. If an examination score is invalidated because of
>irregular behavior, the Board will not consider the candidate for
>examination for a period of up to five years, depending on the irregular
>behavior. A repeat application and examination fee will be required.
>5. "Irregular behavior" shall include, but not be limited to, the
>following conduct: (a) copying answers from another candidate1s
>examination; (b) knowingly permitting another candidate to copy one1s
>answers on an examination; (c) unauthorized possession, reproduction, or
>disclosure (via oral, written, or electronic media) of examination
>materials or content, at any time; (d) use of audio equipment to record
>any part of an {*filter*}examination; (e) offering any financial or other
>benefit to any director, officer, employee, proctor, diplomate, or other
>agent or representative of the Board in return for any right, privilege,
>or benefit that is not granted by the Board to other similarly situated
>candidates or persons; (f) not complying with proctors1 or examiners1
>instructions; (g) disregarding time limits; and (h) any other form of
>disruptive behavior, including repeated or excessive verbal complaints.
>6. Notification of the Board1s action may be sent to legitimately
>interested third parties, including the American Medical Association,
>state medical societies, medical licensing boards, and appropriate
>specialty societies.

>Board Eligibility

>The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc., in accordance with
>the policy of the American Board of Medical Specialties, does not
>recognize or use the term "Board eligible" and does not issue statements
>concerning "Board eligibility." The Board informs an applicant of
>admissibility to examination only when the applicant has an active,
>approved application on file in the Board office.

>Conflict of Interest

>In order to maintain the confidence of the public and the medical
>profession in the integrity of the Board, it is important for those doing
>its work to avoid certain activities that could provide the opportunity
>for an actual conflict of interest or the appearance thereof. A conflict
>of interest is defined as an instance wherein a competing outside activity
>or holding could influence or appear to influence the Board1s activities
>in the area of policy development, evaluation of training programs, or
>examination development. Examples of such competing outside interests are
>compensated direct employment, paid advisory or consultant positions,
>significant personal investments, or other affiliations as an officer
>and/or director in a pharmaceutical or medical supply company.

>As an alternative to regulating investment or employment, the Board has
>chosen to manage matters related to the appearance of a conflict of
>interest by encouraging disclosure of significant financial interests or
>relationships and abstention from participation in decision-making related
>to a matter that could give rise to a conflict of interest (due to a
>material financial interest or relationship).

>Annually, Board members, subspecialty committee members, test committee
>members, written examination proctors, the Executive Vice President, and
>staff members of the Board are required to complete a form disclosing the
>following general information:

>1. License restrictions to practice medicine.
>2. Participation in board review courses or publication of materials in
>any media format, including the internet, regarding board review in
>psychiatry or neurology.
>3. Significant financial holdings in any pharmaceutical or medical supply
>company.
>4. An affiliation in the capacity of trustee, officer, director, or other
>major capacity with any pharmaceutical or medical supply company.
>5. Any other affiliations that would present a potential or apparent
>conflict of interest or commitment.

>Any individual who participates in any review course that is publicized as

...

read more »



Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:53:02 GMT
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Neurology, neuropsychology, and psychiatry: the future?

2. Lyme borreliosis in neurology and psychiatry

3. Ending the Neurology-Psychiatry 'Divide'

4. First Ibero-american Virtual Neurology Congress

5. First Ibero-american Virtual Neurology Congress

6. FOR THE RALLY American Academy of Neurology-- Neuroborreliosis is a brain disease

7. touzoku board : Final News. touzoku 20 board,touzoku board picsnew,touzoku board paran,touzoku board max board,cgiworld touzoku cgiworld paran board

8. Psychiatry Board Review


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software