Some dumb crown related questions 
Author Message
 Some dumb crown related questions

I'm in my 40's and have quite a few heavy fillings in most of my molars. I
recently attended a dental clinic for the first time and they advised me
that I need 6 crowns. Apparently if I don't get the crowns I run the risk of
breaking the fillings and the underlying tooth. Just how true is this, and
do crowns last longer than fillings? I asked about the longevity of crowns
and one dentist said they could do me my lifetime, whereas another one (in
the same clinic!) said 10 - 15 years. Asuming I live longer than 15 years,
if I get 15 years from a crown can I simply get it recrowned?

One last unconnected question... is cleaning of teeth by a dentist a
necessary procedure? This clinic have advised that they clean my teeth, even
though they have inspected them and classed them as being in fair condition.
It has been about 3 years since my last cleaning. What gives me some concern
is that they want CAN$150 for the cleaning.

I guess dentists are just like any other business. As soon as you walk in
the door they try and sell you all sorts of stuff. Some worthwhile, some
not. The problem is knowing which is which.



Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:06:05 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions
It is prudent to place a restoration that protects the biting surface of a
back tooth when the tooth is heavily restored.  If the tooth has had a root
c{*filter*}in addition to large fillings, it becomes considerably more important,
in the you-better-do-it-or-yer-gonna-lose-the-tooth range.

Leaving the root c{*filter*}out of the equation, though, most of the back teeth
with large fillings that break can still be restored once they do so.
Usually it's a corner of the tooth that fractures off.

A small percent will fracture vertically and have to be extracted.  My wife
lost a tooth with a little, dinky filling in it this way.  No one would have
looked at it prior to the break and thought it needed a cusp-protecting
restoration.  So, sh--t happens, no?  I'm still trying to get her to do an
implant.

So, the best restoration for a heavily filled back tooth is something that
protects the biting surface.  Crown, 3/4 crown, onlay.  Crowns aren't the
most conservative - sometimes they're the best choice, but they're not the
only choice in many instances.  My brother recently had an onlay after a
minor fracture on a molar following the advice that it would be better than a
refill.  'Course he's well off, can afford the best.  He had a Cerec onlay
which is an all-ceramic, tooth-colored restoration that protects the biting
surfaces.

A lot of folks do not need a cleaning every 6 months.  My patients who fall
in this category are offered a longer interval - usually a year.  Most of
them still prefer every 6 months.

--
Message posted via MedKB.com
http://www.***.com/



Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:35:23 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:

[snip]
> I guess dentists are just like any other business. As soon as you walk in
> the door they try and sell you all sorts of stuff. Some worthwhile, some
> not. The problem is knowing which is which.

Comparison shop.

Go to two or three different dentists (in totally different clinics) and
have each one evaluate you and make recommendations.  In each case,
pretend that you're only seeing that dentist.  Also, don't "lead" the
dentists by suggesting anything - let them all draw their own
conclusions without any prodding from you.  When you're done, sit down
and compare the recommendations from all the dentists; wherever there's
overlap, that's probably something you ought to have done.  Then go back
to whichever dentist you liked the most, and make an appointment to have
the work done.



Tue, 04 Dec 2007 23:19:58 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:

> One last unconnected question... is cleaning of teeth by a dentist a
> necessary procedure? This clinic have advised that they clean my teeth, even
> though they have inspected them and classed them as being in fair condition.
> It has been about 3 years since my last cleaning. What gives me some concern
> is that they want CAN$150 for the cleaning.

> I guess dentists are just like any other business. As soon as you walk in
> the door they try and sell you all sorts of stuff. Some worthwhile, some
> not. The problem is knowing which is which.

Some people can go twenty years without a cleaning with no ill effect.
It depends on the individual's physiology, diet, and hygiene.  If you
have gone three years without cleaning, you may be one of the lucky
ones.  Ask them for the specific indications that you need a cleaning.
Then go to another dentist and ask the same question.  In twenty years
you might save $3000 and some time and some cleaning-related damage to
your teeth.


Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:01:12 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:



>>>One last unconnected question... is cleaning of teeth by a dentist a
>>>necessary procedure? This clinic have advised that they clean my teeth, even
>>>though they have inspected them and classed them as being in fair condition.
>>>It has been about 3 years since my last cleaning. What gives me some concern
>>>is that they want CAN$150 for the cleaning.

>>>I guess dentists are just like any other business. As soon as you walk in
>>>the door they try and sell you all sorts of stuff. Some worthwhile, some
>>>not. The problem is knowing which is which.

>>Some people can go twenty years without a cleaning with no ill effect.

> Bull sh*t.

>>It depends on the individual's physiology, diet, and hygiene.  If you
>>have gone three years without cleaning, you may be one of the lucky
>>ones.

> Doubtful.

>> Ask them for the specific indications that you need a cleaning.
>>Then go to another dentist and ask the same question.  

> Second opinion is often a good idea.

>>In twenty years
>>you might save $3000 and some time and some cleaning-related damage to
>>your teeth.

> Cleaning related damage ?
> Horse sh*t.

Having a technical degree and lots of experience doesn't imply that
somebody knows everything in his field or that he is honest.  Clearly it
doesn't imply that he has good manners.

Are you telling us that you have never had somebody come in for a
checkup for the first time in ten years when you couldn't really find
anything wrong with his teeth?



Sat, 15 Dec 2007 02:23:08 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

says...

Quote:



> >>>One last unconnected question... is cleaning of teeth by a dentist a
> >>>necessary procedure? This clinic have advised that they clean my teeth, even
> >>>though they have inspected them and classed them as being in fair condition.
> >>>It has been about 3 years since my last cleaning. What gives me some concern
> >>>is that they want CAN$150 for the cleaning.

> >>>I guess dentists are just like any other business. As soon as you walk in
> >>>the door they try and sell you all sorts of stuff. Some worthwhile, some
> >>>not. The problem is knowing which is which.

> >>Some people can go twenty years without a cleaning with no ill effect.

> > Bull sh*t.

> >>It depends on the individual's physiology, diet, and hygiene.  If you
> >>have gone three years without cleaning, you may be one of the lucky
> >>ones.

> > Doubtful.

> >> Ask them for the specific indications that you need a cleaning.
> >>Then go to another dentist and ask the same question.  

> > Second opinion is often a good idea.

> >>In twenty years
> >>you might save $3000 and some time and some cleaning-related damage to
> >>your teeth.

> > Cleaning related damage ?
> > Horse sh*t.

> Having a technical degree and lots of experience doesn't imply that
> somebody knows everything in his field or that he is honest.  Clearly it
> doesn't imply that he has good manners.

> Are you telling us that you have never had somebody come in for a
> checkup for the first time in ten years when you couldn't really find
> anything wrong with his teeth?

I can find something wrong in ANYBODY'S mouth if I look hard enough,
because n-o-b-o-d-y has absolutely perfect teeth and gums.


Sat, 15 Dec 2007 03:30:44 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:


>>Are you telling us that you have never had somebody come in for a
>>checkup for the first time in ten years when you couldn't really find
>>anything wrong with his teeth?

> That's it in a nutshell.

> Something brings them into the office.

Then has the following ever happened?

Somebody comes in for a problem such as a leaky filling or a broken
molar and they tell you they haven't seen a dentist for ten years.  You
look at their teeth and they don't have significant tartar.



Sat, 15 Dec 2007 03:52:21 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:


> >Some people can go twenty years without a cleaning with no ill effect.

> Bull sh*t.

Oh yeah?  I'm 48, and had the first cleaning in *my life* only a month
or so ago.  I can't tell any difference either.  So-called cleanings
by dental offices are a pocket-pad activity as far as I can tell,
unless,
that is, your patients are slobs who take shitty care of their teeth,
which in your case, I wouldn't doubt.

--
Cliff



Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:48:25 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:

> I can find something wrong in ANYBODY'S mouth if I look hard enough,
> because n-o-b-o-d-y has absolutely perfect teeth and gums.

Yep, you guys are just like auto mechanics, HVAC guys and the like;
just
so happens that teeth is your line.  A lot of auto "service and repair"
places offer free inspections.  I've often wondered just what % of
these inspections reveal no problems that need to be addressed...
about 0-to-1% maybe?

--
Cliff



Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:53:25 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions


Quote:

> > I can find something wrong in ANYBODY'S mouth if I look hard enough,
> > because n-o-b-o-d-y has absolutely perfect teeth and gums.

> Yep, you guys are just like auto mechanics, HVAC guys and the like;
> just
> so happens that teeth is your line.  A lot of auto "service and repair"
> places offer free inspections.  I've often wondered just what % of
> these inspections reveal no problems that need to be addressed...
> about 0-to-1% maybe?

> --
> Cliff

Well I can promise you that if you presented yourself in my office, no
treatment would be proposed.

carabelli



Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:06:47 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:

> Then has the following ever happened?

> Somebody comes in for a problem such as a leaky filling or a broken
> molar and they tell you they haven't seen a dentist for ten years.  You
> look at their teeth and they don't have significant tartar.

Not that I can remember (in the past 26 years).

Yes, I see a few who could get their teeth cleaned only every 2-3 years,
but not 10.

JME,
Fawks



Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:17:34 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:

>>Then has the following ever happened?

>>Somebody comes in for a problem such as a leaky filling or a broken
>>molar and they tell you they haven't seen a dentist for ten years.  You
>>look at their teeth and they don't have significant tartar.

> Doesn't happen.

Tell us whether this is accurate:  If it did happen, you wouldn't want
anybody to know about it.  You wouldn't even want yourself to know about it.


Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:33:56 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:



>> >Some people can go twenty years without a cleaning with no ill effect.

>> Bull sh*t.

> Oh yeah?  I'm 48, and had the first cleaning in *my life* only a month
> or so ago.  I can't tell any difference either.  So-called cleanings
> by dental offices are a pocket-pad activity as far as I can tell,
> unless,
> that is, your patients are slobs who take shitty care of their teeth,
> which in your case, I wouldn't doubt.

I'm with you. I mean, how did humans survive the last 3 million years
without dentists? (Mind you, they didn't have a lot of refined sugar either,
but let's not nit-pick here).


Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:17:00 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions


Quote:





>>> >Some people can go twenty years without a cleaning with no ill effect.

>>> Bull sh*t.

>> Oh yeah?  I'm 48, and had the first cleaning in *my life* only a month
>> or so ago.  I can't tell any difference either.  So-called cleanings
>> by dental offices are a pocket-pad activity as far as I can tell,
>> unless,
>> that is, your patients are slobs who take shitty care of their teeth,
>> which in your case, I wouldn't doubt.

> I'm with you. I mean, how did humans survive the last 3 million years
> without dentists? (Mind you, they didn't have a lot of refined sugar
> either, but let's not nit-pick here).

Well in a frame of reference of 3 million years there were a lot of hominids
that didn't need their teeth after age 30. I want you and Matt to feel free
to avoid the dentist for the next 30 years and then get back to us with your
reports.  You don't need to have teeth to live to a ripe old age - that is
your decision.  Caveat - there is more to dentistry than teeth.

carabelli



Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:05:46 GMT
 Some dumb crown related questions

Quote:





> >> >Some people can go twenty years without a cleaning with no ill effect.

> >> Bull sh*t.

> > Oh yeah?  I'm 48, and had the first cleaning in *my life* only a month
> > or so ago.  I can't tell any difference either.  So-called cleanings
> > by dental offices are a pocket-pad activity as far as I can tell,
> > unless,
> > that is, your patients are slobs who take shitty care of their teeth,
> > which in your case, I wouldn't doubt.

> I'm with you. I mean, how did humans survive the last 3 million years
> without dentists? (Mind you, they didn't have a lot of refined sugar either,
> but let's not nit-pick here).

Simple, they dropped dead by age 30 or so.


Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:56:26 GMT
 
 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Questions: Wisdom Teeth, Crowns, and related problems....

2. Questions: Wisdom Teeth, Crowns, and related

3. Boston IQ-75 DAFNscorz: Dumb, Dumber, *DUMBezt*

4. another dumb, dumb, dr.

5. Dumb, da-dum-dumb

6. Health Care and dumb questions...

7. Dumb question (?) about antibiotics

8. Dumb question - 'Allopathic'?

9. DUMB QUESTION ??

10. Today's dumb question

11. another dumb exercise question

12. Dumb questions about flatulence


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software