Thallium Stress Test 
Author Message
 Thallium Stress Test

Hi,

I have to go through TST(I have costochondritis and sometimes it is very
difficult to tell the source/location of the chest pain whether it is
due to costochondritis-from the ribs or the heart). Otherwisw I feel
fine and my resting EKG is also fine.
Are there any side effects or risks in taking TST(I am allergic to
radio-opaque dye) ?

Are there any other tecniques/ways to differentiate costochondritis from
the real chest(heart) pain ?

If anybody has gone through the TST your feedback from your experience
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

cheers
Shrikant



Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Thallium Stress Test

Quote:

> Are there any side effects or risks in taking TST(I am allergic to
> radio-opaque dye) ?

The radio-labelled thallium is not related to radio-opaque dyes so you
should not expect to get a allergic reaction with this form of testing.

Quote:
> Are there any other tecniques/ways to differentiate costochondritis
> from
> the real chest(heart) pain ?

Relief of your chest pain symptoms with sublingual nitroglycerin might
distinguish heart symptoms from costochondritis symptoms.
--
For answers to similar sci.med/cardiology FAQs, see my webpages.
---
Andrew Chung
Homepage (with answers to sci.med FAQs) at:
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~achung
Mirrored at:
http://www.emory.edu/WHSC/MED/HTN/~achung/


Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Thallium Stress Test

Mayo Clinic has a new procedure called, "Echo Stress Test". This procedure
is very similar to TST but uses sound waves instead of Thallium to find out
how much {*filter*} gets to different parts of the heart muscles. This in effect
shows if there are any narrowing of the three main arteries. They believe
this test is about 90% to 95% accurate (which is the same accuracy rate of
TST).

They do an echo before the exersice, and one right after the exersice. It
takes about 20 minutes and I am told is much cheaper and less invasive than
TST.

Sam



Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Thallium Stress Test

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have to go through TST(I have costochondritis and sometimes it is very
> difficult to tell the source/location of the chest pain whether it is
> due to costochondritis-from the ribs or the heart). Otherwisw I feel
> fine and my resting EKG is also fine.
> Are there any side effects or risks in taking TST(I am allergic to
> radio-opaque dye) ?

> Are there any other tecniques/ways to differentiate costochondritis from
> the real chest(heart) pain ?

> If anybody has gone through the TST your feedback from your experience
> would be very much appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,

> cheers
> Shrikant

My wife had a TST the first week of Sep, this year.  I was with her
during the treadmill part which tired her, but otherwise, presented no
problems.  The X-Ray portion was a 'piece of cake'.  Afterward, we ate
lunch, shopped for a while and returned to the hospital for the second
set of x-rays, another 'piece of cake'.  She is not allergic to any of
the ingredients used with the iv that put the thalium in her system. [do
they use dyes?].  She has had costochondritis in the past, getting gold
shots for several years back in the 1970s.  So, we have sympathy for
your situation.  Hope this help!
--

     KOKO  [ Keep on keeping on ]     Hop



Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Stress echo vs thallium stress test

2. technetium vs thallium stress tests

3. Thallium Stress Test

4. thallium stress test question

5. Thallium stress test:

6. thallium stress test with dobutamine

7. Persatine Thallium Stress Test

8. thallium stress test:

9. Thallium stress test safety

10. Thallium Stress Test

11. Thallium Stress Test

12. Thallium Stress Test


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software