Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries 
Author Message
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

See:

http://www.***.com/

(the report is posted in full at sci.med.dentistry under the subject
title "Dutch Report In Full")

It appears that the authors of the report made no attempt to determine
whether or not the electrical potentials measured are able to
dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads, and
there appears to be no reliable scientific information available to
indicate whether or not this is the case.

I believe that according to the established principles of legal
medical ethics it should be necessary for dentists to inform their
patients that mercury amalgam dental fillings generate electrical
potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts, and that at
present it is not known whether or not these potentials are able to
dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in their heads.

Keith P Walsh

PS, The Dutch report contains the following paragraph:

"In most of the subjects potential differences of more than 50 mV were
present between restorations. From this frequent occurrence, and the
rarity of adverse reactions attributed to metallic restorations, it is
concluded that the presence of the latter does not necessarily
indicate a health hazard that should be terminated by removal of
restorations".

And it has been suggested that this passage may be interpreted as an
assertion by the authors that "amalgam is safe".

However, whilst the scope of the authors' research appears sufficient
to have determined accurately that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts, it does not extend to any
investigation as to whether or not the potentials measured are able to
dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in peoples' heads.

For example, if it were the case that the dissipation of electrical
energy from fillings through the nerves in people's heads is the cause
of a large proportion of reported cases of so-called "depression"
(which are very common), then the actual number of cases of adverse
effects being caused by mercury amalgam dental fillings might be very
high, and the explanation that very few of these adverse effects are
actually attributed to "metallic restorations" might be the fact that
society (including members of the dental, medical and psychiatric
professions) is largely ignorant of the electrical behavior of dental
amalgams.

More specifically, if experimental investigations to determine whether
or not the electrical potentials generated by metal dental fillings
are able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's
heads have never been carried out, then this allows for the
possibility that large numbers of cases of so-called "psychological"
or "psychiatric" disorders are not being attributed to the electrical
behavior of matallic dental restorations when they should be.

In concluding that "the presence of the latter does not necessarily
[hardly conclusive! - KPW] indicate a health hazard that should be
terminated by removal of restorations." the authors are making
allowance, whether intentionally or not, for the possibility that if
the dissipation of electrical energy through the nerves in people's
heads resulting from the electrical behavior of metal amalgam dental
fillings is capable of causing permanent neurological injuries, then
the removal of these fillings will result in neither the repair of the
neurological damage done nor the alleviation of any debilitating
condition that it may have caused.

The natural function of the human neurological system is to transmit
electrical signals. However, it is not the natural function of the
human neurological system to be permanently dissipating the electrical
energy generated by mixtures of metals placed in teeth.

The Dutch paper reports that it can be shown experimentally that
mercury amalgam dental fillings are electric batteries capable of
generating electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350
millivolts.

The scope of the research done does not allow for any conclusion that
this is OK.

It would be necessary to carry out experimental investigations to
demonstrate that these electrical potentials are not able to dissipate
electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads before being
able to conclude that this is the case.

And it should be necessary therefore to advise dental patients that
mercury amalgam dental fillings are electric batteries capable of
generating electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350
millivolts, at least until such investigations have been done.



Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:07:47 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries



Quote:

> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

Try chewing some Al foil and experience a few more mV, just to see what it's
like.
Feel free to wash it down with some lemonjuice - chew well.

Dirk



Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:24:33 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Quote:



>> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
>> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
>> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

> Try chewing some Al foil and experience a few more mV, just to see what it's
> like.
> Feel free to wash it down with some lemonjuice - chew well.

I dunno, lithium may be more beneficial.

--

---------------------------+-------------------------+--------------------------
Two parrots sitting on a perch.  One asks the other, "Can you smell fish?"



Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:34:43 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries


Quote:
> See:

http://www.***.com/
&Dopt=r

Quote:
> (the report is posted in full at sci.med.dentistry under the subject
> title "Dutch Report In Full") [wherein it says:]
> the dissipation of electrical... energy from fillings through
> the nerves in people's heads is the cause ....of  "depression"
> effects being caused by mercury amalgam dental fillings
> [which] are electric batteries capable of generating
>  electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350  millivolts.

> More specifically, if experimental investigations to determine whether
> or not the electrical potentials generated by metal dental fillings
> are able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's
> heads have never been carried out, then this allows for the
> possibility that large numbers of cases of so-called "psychological"
> or "psychiatric" disorders are not being attributed to the electrical
> behavior of matallic dental restorations when they should be.

Hey, great, Keith,
I like the "magnitudes of up to 350  millivolts".
Especially the "magnitudes".
Now the lawyers have one more reason to get {*filter*}ers off the hook.
Once it was only the lonely "Twinkies made me do it" defense,
and now it's "My fillings caused it and did it".
But then may be it's really the dentist's karma which descends upon
the patients, after he brought them pain and took their money.
hanson


Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:55:13 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Quote:
> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

> See:

> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?db=m&form=6&uid=2...

> Keith P Walsh

> PS, The Dutch report contains the following paragraph:

> "I

-------------
tell your dentist to use much more modern materials
for dental fillings. (mainly plastics which are much better)
all the best
Y.Porat
----------


Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:12:59 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries
Keith,

   Well, of course!  How else do you expect to power those new
implanted cell phone. . . And whatever else becomes available for
insertion in the teeth or cranium?

Marvin L. Zinn
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:48 EDT
Windows 2000 build 2195
Using Virtual Access



Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:18:46 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Quote:

> Keith,

>    Well, of course!  How else do you expect to power those new
> implanted cell phone. . . And whatever else becomes available for
> insertion in the teeth or cranium?

Someone has actually done a radio-in-a-tooth (replacement)

--

---------------------------+-------------------------+--------------------------
"The device every conquerer, yes, every altruistic liberator should be required
to wear on his shield... is a little girl and her kitten, at ground zero"
      -  Sir Dominic Flandry in Poul Andersons 'A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows'



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:35:17 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries


Quote:

> > Keith,

> >    Well, of course!  How else do you expect to power those new
> > implanted cell phone. . . And whatever else becomes available for
> > insertion in the teeth or cranium?

> Someone has actually done a radio-in-a-tooth (replacement)

That's how a significant proportion of posters here get their
orders/information.

Dirk



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:53:19 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Quote:
> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

Cool! In Pennsylvania, the utility company must buy back any excess
power generated by local producers. I am calling them this afternoon
and seeing if I can make a deal!

Joel



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:19:11 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries


Quote:

> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

Why do you insist on posting about an effect that has been well known for
well over 30 years?  It is about as informative as water freezing when
stored below 0 degres celcius.  Want a real thrill?  Chew some aluminum gum
wrappers.

r

--
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or
numbered...My life is my own."

"I am not a number.  I am a free man."
No. 6



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:56:51 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Quote:
> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

Good Lord, in that case we must all be DOOMED!!!  Aaarghhh!

Still, wait for just a minite.  Doesn't potential generation require
TWO electrodes having different potentials, and not an amalgam (that
is for all practical purposes effectively an alloy)?

                                                      Harry C.



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:18:01 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries



Quote:

> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

I have taken the liberty of reposting the following-

"You have 100,000 million brain cells.  With a resting potential of -70mV
this is a potential of 7 million volts.
Imagine what happens when you are thinking. Humans are dangerous.

carabelli"

My question to Keith Kilowatt is, "If I think really hard, while you are
standing next ot me, will this raise the kVp in your mouth"?
My thoughts would be that it has to be an inverse function of distance.

Therefore:

"Don't stand so close to me"

Police  (1986?)

carabelli



Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:24:21 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries


Quote:

>> Dutch research has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are
>> electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with
>> magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts.

>Good Lord, in that case we must all be DOOMED!!!  Aaarghhh!

>Still, wait for just a minite.  Doesn't potential generation require
>TWO electrodes having different potentials, and not an amalgam (that
>is for all practical purposes effectively an alloy)?

>                                                      Harry C.

Yep, I figured that much, copper ? of the meter probe versus amalgan, you can look it up f you like.


Sun, 30 Jan 2005 05:54:09 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Quote:

>Still, wait for just a minite.  Doesn't potential generation require
>TWO electrodes having different potentials, and not an amalgam (that
>is for all practical purposes effectively an alloy)?

If you look at http://www.finoag.com/fitm/n6.html you will see a
graphical representation of the thermoelectric current and associated
electromagnetic field which are generated whenever an element of one
electrical conductor is completely encased within another and
subjected to a thermal gradient (figure d is particularly
instructive).

If you now look at http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/setting.htm
you will see a graphical representation of the microstructure of a
typical mercury based dental amalgam. This material consists of a
multitude of elements of one electrical conductor all encased within a
matrix of a dissimilar metallic composition.

You see, dental amalgam is an inhomogeneous mixture of dissimilar
metals in its own right. The nature of any electromotive forces, eddy
currents and electromagnetic fields arising within the material as a
result of temperature gradients being applied may be expected to
represent a particular characteristic of the composition of this
particular material.

And, whilst it may seem reasonable to describe this material as a
mixture of two (or more) different alloys, it is not accurate to
describe it as an alloy.

Those relatively large lumps of unreacted alloy in the amalgam matrix
have remained solid throughout the amalgamation process. How could it
be otherwise? Amalgams are mixed at room temperature. True alloys are
not made in this way. True alloys are made by heating the component
metals to temperatures above their melting points, allowing them to
mix thoroughly in their liquid states, and then allowing them to cool
and solidify.

This is why an amalgam is called an amalgam and an alloy is not.

Amalgams are different.

AND YOU MIGHT REASONABLY EXPECT THEIR ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES TO BE
DIFFERENT AS WELL.

The only way to find out how different is to measure them.

Keith P Walsh



Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:31:03 GMT
 Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

Quote:

> >Still, wait for just a minite.  Doesn't potential generation require
> >TWO electrodes having different potentials, and not an amalgam (that
> >is for all practical purposes effectively an alloy)?

> If you look at http://www.finoag.com/fitm/n6.html you will see a
> graphical representation of the thermoelectric current and associated
> electromagnetic field which are generated whenever an element of one
> electrical conductor is completely encased within another and
> subjected to a thermal gradient (figure d is particularly
> instructive).

> If you now look at http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/setting.htm
> you will see a graphical representation of the microstructure of a
> typical mercury based dental amalgam. This material consists of a
> multitude of elements of one electrical conductor all encased within a
> matrix of a dissimilar metallic composition.

> You see, dental amalgam is an inhomogeneous mixture of dissimilar
> metals in its own right. The nature of any electromotive forces, eddy
> currents and electromagnetic fields arising within the material as a
> result of temperature gradients being applied may be expected to
> represent a particular characteristic of the composition of this
> particular material.

> And, whilst it may seem reasonable to describe this material as a
> mixture of two (or more) different alloys, it is not accurate to
> describe it as an alloy.

> Those relatively large lumps of unreacted alloy in the amalgam matrix
> have remained solid throughout the amalgamation process. How could it
> be otherwise? Amalgams are mixed at room temperature. True alloys are
> not made in this way. True alloys are made by heating the component
> metals to temperatures above their melting points, allowing them to
> mix thoroughly in their liquid states, and then allowing them to cool
> and solidify.

> This is why an amalgam is called an amalgam and an alloy is not.

> Amalgams are different.

Excellent explanation Keith.

Quote:
> AND YOU MIGHT REASONABLY EXPECT THEIR ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES TO BE
> DIFFERENT AS WELL.

Indeed so.  The only question is: Is this difference significant from
any health considerations, electic or electro-chemical?

To me, the very fact that mercury/silver amalgam filling are so long
lasting and so relatively corrosion immune is a testamonial to their
low amount of electro-chemical (galvanic) activity.  I note that
unlike on my boat or hot water heater, no sacrificial anode is
required to prevent their being eaten away by galvanic actions, and
when they do need to be replace, it is the underlying tooth structure
that has de-composed, and not the amalgam filling itself.

Quote:
> The only way to find out how different is to measure them.

Quite true, but for what end purpose?  Lacking a demonstrated problem,
I personally am not motivated to speculate on a fix.

Then too, I may sound a bit judgmental on this subject because I was
once personally exposed by to a dental charlatan who, until he was
shut down by the state, was attempting to confince all of his younger,
upwardly mobile patients to have ALL their amalgam fillings drilled
out and replace with gold or some form of plastic as a health
precaustion. I was 29 at that time, an engineer at Raytheon, and a
prime candidate for his sales pitch. I later testified during his
malpractice trial.

IIRC correctly, he lost his license to practice densistry in
Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York. Rumor has it
that he later sold his home in Lincoln, Massachusetts and moved to
somewhere in California, but that California later denied him a
license to practice denistry there as well.
We've lost track of him since around 1975.

As an aside, I believe that the majority of today's dental fillings
are performed using various plastics or related materials, and that
the use of dental amalgams are largely limited to special cases and
replacement use, since the UV hardened materials work so very well.

To me, the entire subject seems moot, since I'm now 64, and most
people with a large percentage of their fillings consisting of
amalgams are close to my age. This means that in another 20 years most
of us will be probably dead and the only people seriously interested
in the results of your research will be in their nineties.

Your technical comments are right-on and might well have attreacted a
great deal of interest if the year were 1900.  Still, the current year
is 2002.

                                                       Harry C.



Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:57:43 GMT
 
 [ 76 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries

2. Another Study Finds Amalgam Fillings Electric Batteries

3. Welfare dental coverage / amalgam fillings vs white fillings

4. I'm So Glad My Dental Amalgams Are Little Batteries

5. Mercury from dental amalgam (was: Re: Electric-Magnetic effects on health)

6. Alternatives to amalgam dental fillings

7. laptop batteries : Most Recent News. replacement laptop batteries,discount laptop batteries,fujitsu laptop batteries,12 hour laptop batteries,discount universal laptop batteries

8. Latest News About optima batteries. optima batteries abbotsford,optima batteries canada,dual optima batteries,optima batteries made in mexico,optima batteries phoenix

9. rechargeable batteries : Current News. rechargeable nimh batteries,rechargeable aaa batteries,rechargeable batteries redwood city,rechargeable batteries for wii remote,rebuild rechargeable batteries

10. Preferred Procedures when having Defective Mercury/Silver (AMALGAM) Dental Fillings Removed

11. Re :Amalgam / Mercury Dental Filling Toxicity


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software