Can I have my crown/ fillings done immediately prior to having root scaling? 
Author Message
 Can I have my crown/ fillings done immediately prior to having root scaling?

Hi all,

I went to a new dentist recently to treat a cavity on a molar.  He said that
a root c{*filter*}is necessary and also referred me to a periodontist for root
scaling.  After I did the root c{*filter*}and came back to be prepped for the
crown, my general dentist said that there is also a cavity on the wisdom
tooth next to the molar.  However, he said that he cannot do either a crown
on the tooth with the root c{*filter*}or a filling on the wisdom tooth until I am
done with the root scaling.    He put in a post in the root c{*filter*}and said
that it will be good for 2-6 months and that he will do the crown after the
periodontal treatment is completed.  I am concerned that the periodontal
treatment may take a long time, at least 2 months two months and even more if
the periodontist decides that I require a surgery (my  root scaling is
scheduled for mid-November and mid-December, 2 appointments, and I understand
that there is 4-6 weeks follow-up to see if the pockets improve and if I
require surgical treetment).  During this time the cavity that I have may
progress much further.  It was a big cavity too - I could feel it with my
tongue before the root c{*filter*}procedure was done.  Plus, even though I have a
post, I cannot floss on one side of it and around the cavity, so it feels
uncomfortable. Is it true that neither fillings nor crowns can be done
immediately prior to deep scaling procedure or shortly thereafter (within
these 4-6 weeks that I have to wait for a follow-up with the periodontist)?

Thanks.



Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:18:51 GMT
 Can I have my crown/ fillings done immediately prior to having root scaling?

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I went to a new dentist recently to treat a cavity on a molar.  He said that
> a root c{*filter*}is necessary and also referred me to a periodontist for root
> scaling.  After I did the root c{*filter*}and came back to be prepped for the
> crown, my general dentist said that there is also a cavity on the wisdom
> tooth next to the molar.  However, he said that he cannot do either a crown
> on the tooth with the root c{*filter*}or a filling on the wisdom tooth until I am
> done with the root scaling.    He put in a post in the root c{*filter*}and said
> that it will be good for 2-6 months and that he will do the crown after the
> periodontal treatment is completed.  I am concerned that the periodontal
> treatment may take a long time, at least 2 months two months and even more if
> the periodontist decides that I require a surgery (my  root scaling is
> scheduled for mid-November and mid-December, 2 appointments, and I understand
> that there is 4-6 weeks follow-up to see if the pockets improve and if I
> require surgical treetment).  During this time the cavity that I have may
> progress much further.  It was a big cavity too - I could feel it with my
> tongue before the root c{*filter*}procedure was done.  Plus, even though I have a
> post, I cannot floss on one side of it and around the cavity, so it feels
> uncomfortable. Is it true that neither fillings nor crowns can be done
> immediately prior to deep scaling procedure or shortly thereafter (within
> these 4-6 weeks that I have to wait for a follow-up with the periodontist)?

> Thanks.

        I can understand the rationale for holding off on the crown, but not
the filling.
        Your dentist placed a post and core on the tooth with the root canal,
which may well be adequate for a limited time.  My only concern here is
that if there is no contact between this tooth and the wisdom tooth
behind and the first molar in front that it may drift.  If so, he should
consider placing a temporary crown which will prevent that from happening.
        The rationale for waiting on the crown is that if periodontal treatment
is planned the level of the gum on the tooth will likely change.  If the
crown is done first and the gum subsequently shrinks back, some root
surface may be exposed.  This will increase the chances of recurrent
decay, and possibly increase the chances of cooking.net">food impaction.  Were this a
front tooth it could also be a cosmetic problem as the edge of the crown
could become exposed, but on a second molar this isn't an issue.
        As far as the wisdom tooth is concerned, I see no reason to delay
treament on the cavity, and would ask your dentist for his reasoning here.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.***.com/
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001



Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:13:42 GMT
 Can I have my crown/ fillings done immediately prior to having root scaling?
Thank you very much.


Quote:
>> Hi all,

>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]

>> Thanks.

>    I can understand the rationale for holding off on the crown, but not
>the filling.
>    Your dentist placed a post and core on the tooth with the root canal,
>which may well be adequate for a limited time.  My only concern here is
>that if there is no contact between this tooth and the wisdom tooth
>behind and the first molar in front that it may drift.  If so, he should
>consider placing a temporary crown which will prevent that from happening.
>    The rationale for waiting on the crown is that if periodontal treatment
>is planned the level of the gum on the tooth will likely change.  If the
>crown is done first and the gum subsequently shrinks back, some root
>surface may be exposed.  This will increase the chances of recurrent
>decay, and possibly increase the chances of cooking.net">food impaction.  Were this a
>front tooth it could also be a cosmetic problem as the edge of the crown
>could become exposed, but on a second molar this isn't an issue.
>    As far as the wisdom tooth is concerned, I see no reason to delay
>treament on the cavity, and would ask your dentist for his reasoning here.

>Steve

--
Message posted via MedKB.com
http://www.medkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/med/200511/1


Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:38:21 GMT
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Can I have a crown/filling done prior to root scaling or shortly thereafter?

2. Question about having lots of work done

3. 12 week since having it done (PVP)

4. 13th week after having PVP done

5. 19 weeks after having it done

6. 21 weeks and one day since having PVP done

7. Preferred Procedures when having Defective Mercury/Silver (AMALGAM) Dental Fillings Removed

8. 2 1/2 months After having an amalgam filling

9. Root Canal - Having Problems - Advice

10. Having a root canal redone

11. Continuing pain after having root canal in February


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software